It’s the weekend! There’s plenty to do this November weekend, with great markets for craft goods, food, and more.
If you’re a fan of Christmas, there’s plenty for you as well, with holiday activities beginning to ramp up around the city.
Without further ado, here are 14 things to do in and around Victoria this weekend:
Support the Victoria Royals as they face off against the Regina Pats at the Save on Foods Memorial Centre.
Paws on Cook will also be holding raffles for plenty of pet related gear. Even though furry friends aren’t allowed at the game, if you post pictures of your pets repping Royals spirit to the hockey team’s Facebook page they could appear on the jumbotron during the game!
- When: Saturday, Nov. 17th, doors open at 6:00 p.m. and puck drops at 7:05 p.m.
- Where: Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre – 1925 Blanshard Street
With Christmas on the horizon, craft fairs are popping up left, right, and center. The Annual Craft Fair for Emerging Artists is special, however, because of its focus on emerging low-income artists in the community.
All of the vendors are highly-skilled but usually lack the means enter larger craft fairs. Come check out this wealth of untapped talent!
- When: Saturday, November 17th, 10:30 a.m. – 2:30 p.m.
- Where: First Metropolitan Church Hall at 932 Balmoral Road
Come get your grocery shopping done while also sampling some delicious meat pies. Salt Spring Pie Co. will be cooking up samples of their Merlot Braised Beef, Chicken and Sweet Corn, and Mushroom pie.
- When: Saturday, November 17th, 11:30 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Where: The Root Cellar, 1286 McKenzie Ave.
This marketplace will support both local artists and the Tillicum Community school. With 39 days until Christmas, now could be a perfect time to pick up some locally crafted gifts.
- When: Saturday, November 17th, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m.
- Where: Tillicum Community School
Watch Uptown shopping centre light up its massive 54 ft. (16.5 metres) tree on Saturday night. A parade will also loop around the shopping centre’s entire boulevard, so you can snag a seat wherever you like!
- When: Saturday, November 17th, 6:10 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Where: Uptown, 3440 Saanich Rd
The Pharmasave at Broadmead Village is hosting an after hours shopping experience, as well as The Victoria Women’s Transition House Society.
Besides the exclusive shopping, there’ll be makeovers, mini manicures, skin consultations, hors d’oeuvres, and of course, bubbly
- When: Saturday, November 17th, 6:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Where: Pharmasave Broadmead, 777 Royal Oak Dr
This fun charitable event will showcase the gingerbread houses of both professional and amateur bakers.
Vote for your favourite sugary structure, and all donations will go towardsHabitat Victoria’s Build Program for families in need. Last year, they had over 25,000 visitors and more than $51,000 was raised!
- When: Saturday, November 17th, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Sunday, November 18th, 9 a.m. – 9 p.m.
- Where: The Parkside Hotel & Spa, 810 Humboldt Street
The largest craft fair we’ve mentioned today, this Christmas market will offer plenty of handmade baked goods, Christmas decorations, and decor.
It’s on all weekend, so there’s plenty of time to check it out!
- When: Saturday, November 17th, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.
Sunday, November 18th, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Saanich Commonwealth Place, 4636 Elk Lake Drive
UVic’s Ukrainian Student Society is holding a cooking workshop on how to make Ukrainian braided bread! The lesson will already have all the ingredients needed to make Kolachi, you just might want to bring a container to bring some of your freshly baked bread home.
- When: Sunday, November 18th, 11 a.m. – 2 p.m.
- Where: Ukrainian Cultural Centre – 3277 Douglas Street, Upstairs Lounge
Hillside’s Night of Lights is an awesome charity event that showcases plenty of local charities, businesses, and more.
Over $10,000 worth of prizes can also be won, and many vendors will be offering discounts for their stores.
- When: Sunday, November 18th, 6 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Hillside Centre, 1644 Hillside Ave
There will be over 60 vendors offering freshly harvested seasonal fruits and vegetables, ethically raised meat, food trucks, live music, craft goods, and more!
- When: Sunday, November 18th, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: Esquimalt Rec Centre, 527 Fraser Street
The Mary Lake Nature Sanctuary invites visitors to self-guided/map or guided walks through the 7+ acre lake property. A slide show and discussion in lake house will also take place after the tours.
- When: Sunday, November 18th, 11 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Mary Lake Nature Sanctuary, 1772 Millstream Rd
Victoria’s High Notes Flute Choir, Trio Taco, and local community members will be performing in Sunday night’s Flute Spectacular. the concert is part of Canada Music Week, and highlights some great Island talent!
- When: Sunday, November 18th, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Where: St. Mary’s Church, 1701 Elgin Road
Families (or those of us that are kids at heart) can visit the art gallery to take part in hands-on art-making, and listen to special guests like storytellers, artists, performers, or musicians.
- When: Sunday, November 18th, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1040 Moss Street