Christmas really is just around the corner, and Greater Victoria is gearing up to spread some holiday cheer.
If you live in Sidney or love visiting, you’ll notice the streets lined with twinkling lights and other festive decor.
But that’s not all that’s happening in the harbour-side town in winter. Here are some much awaited Christmassy activities for you and yours in Sidney this holiday season!
View this post on Instagram
Save the date for the Annual Sidney Merchants Open House! Truly a special night of festive celebrations and fantastic shopping. The event runs from 5pm to 8:30pm and will feature free horse & carriage tours, carol singers and is the start of the Scratch & Win promotion! For a list of participating businesses visit: https://sidneybia.ca/event/sidney-annual-merchants-open-house-kick-off-to-christmas/
This tri-annual favourite, features over 120 tables and booths of 18th, 19th and 20th century antiques and vintage collectibles, making it one of the largest event of its kind held on Vancouver Island.
Highlights of the diverse selection to be found at this event include antique and estate jewelry, Victorian sterling and silver-plate, French country, formal and retro chic furniture and accessories, kitchen collectibles, decorative art pottery and glass, old advertising and memorabilia, antiquarian books, tribal and native arts, mid-century Modernist décor, textiles and linens, and classic dolls and toys.
- When: Sunday, November 18th, 9:30 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Ave
- Admission: $5 at the door and children under 13 are free.
The Sidney Merchants Open House launches the holiday season with multiple activities, eats and treats: There will be FREE horse-drawn carriage rides, carol singers, beautiful shop windows, a gingerbread house scavenger hunt, and more. Without a doubt, it will be a fun and festive evening to remember!
- When: Friday, November 30th, 5 p.m. – 8:30 p.m.
- Where: Downtown Sidney
The elves have been busy in Sidney this Christmas! 40 different gingerbread houses are hidden in the shops throughout town. Grab the kinds and find 12 for a chance to win 1 of 3 great prizes. Entrance forms can be found in the December Events Calendar which can be picked up at the Sidney Info Centre at 2281 Beacon Avenue (also located in various businesses across Sidney).
- When: November 30th – December 23rd
- Where: Various locations around Sidney.
Adding to the holiday spirit, you could win a little magic, just by making a purchase at a participating Sidney merchant between November 30th and December 23rd. The Sidney BIA is hosting a special “scratch and win” promotion with outstanding prizes that include a night at the Pier Hotel, spa treatments, restaurant and cafe vouchers, and more!
- When: November 30th – December 23rd
- Where: Participating businesses in Sidney. Click here for a full list.
Victoria Carriage Tours will offer festive rides through downtown Sidney on Saturdays & Sundays this December! Organized by the Sidney BIA, this sought after Christmas activity is immensely popular, and reservations are highly recommended.
- When: Saturdays and Sundays, December 1st – 23rd, 12 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Pick up close to Port Sidney Marina, outside Surly Mermaid restaurant, 9851 Seaport Pl
- Admission: $40 per carriage, seats up to 6 people. Call 250-893-0093 to make a reservation.
Traditional carollers (the Linden Singers) stroll the streets of Sidney capturing the warmth and tradition of Christmas and sharing their heart-warming renditions of seasonal favourites with retailers and customer alike.
- When: Saturdays and Sundays, December 1st – 23, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Find them strolling the streets of Sidney!
This annual treat is one every Sidney dweller and visitor looks forward to! Hosted by the Peninsula Celebrations Society, the annual Sidney Sparkles Christmas Parade starts at 5 pm Sunday, December 2 and runs through the centre of town along Beacon Avenue.
- When: Sunday, December 2nd, 5 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Where: Beacon Ave
The fun doesn’t end after the Sidney Sparkles parade! Once the parade completes its route, people are encouraged to move to Beacon and Bevan wharves and the Sidney waterfront around Beacon Park. From there, you will be able to witness the Lighted Boat Parade, which starts at least 15 minutes after the Santa Claus parade.
- When: Sunday, December 2nd, 15 mins after Sidney Sparkles parade
- Where: Sidney waterfront around Beacon Park
Did we miss any? Comment below to let us know!