The Royal Victoria Yacht Club’s annual Sea of Lights parade will set sail on Friday December 7, 2018.
This parade of lighted boats has been held annually since 2006. In partnership with the Districts of Oak Bay and Saanich, the Victoria and Oak Bay Sea Rescue Societies and the Maritime Forces Pacific it contributes greatly to civic pride and enjoyment of the holiday season and supports the Salvation Army Christmas Fund, and the Oak Bay Kiwanis.
For best viewing:
- 7:00pm – Cattle Point
- 7:15pm – Willows Beach
- 7:45pm – Gyro Park & Cadboro Bay
Admission to this spectacular beach event is free, but you are encouraged to bring along a non-perishable food item or other donation for the Kiwanis Club or the Salvation Army.
- When: 6:30 p.m to 8:30 p.m.
- Where: Royal Victoria Yacht Club, 3475 Ripon Road
Giller Prize Winner Esi Edugyan will be here signing books this Friday afternoon. Meet the author as she signs copies of “Washington Black,” one of the biggest books of the year, and one of Munro’s very favourite books this year.
- When: 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Where: Munro’s Books, 1108 Government Street
All aboard the Christmas Express a 1910 steam locomotive as it travels through thousands of twinkling lights that adorn the 100 acre enchanted woods of the BC Forest Discovery Centre.
Thousands of visitors over the years have made a Christmas tradition of attending this colourful and entertaining event.
The Christmas Express event is a huge undertaking and largely driven by ‘volunteer elves’. The BC Forest Discovery Centre enjoys the support of so many ‘volunteer elves’ from the community who work alongside the staff to ensure the lights are hung, they deck the halls including showcasing our buildings and artefacts to give the museum and our forest that magical festive look.
- When: Runs on weekends from Saturday, December 1st to Sunday, December 16th, with the addition of Wednesday, December 19th through to Sunday, December 23rd, a total of 13 magical evenings. The BC Forest Discovery Centre opens at 4pm on these dates with train departures every 20 minutes beginning at 4:30pm. The last train departs at 8:30pm.
- Where: BC Forest Discovery Centre, 2892 Drinkwater Road
Vikes Improv, the UVic Lampoon, The Warren Undergraduate Review, This Side of West, and the UVic Live Music Club are teaming up for a holiday crossover show with improv, stand-up comedy, readings, and live music. Don’t want to miss this multi-talented show.
- When: 7 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Where: David Lam auditorium, University of Victoria
You can be sure to get your Christmas list to “The Man with the Bag” himself during December. See Father Christmas in Old Town during December (December 7-9 and December 14-16) from 11 am to 3 pm. Included with admission or membership; photos are by donation.
- When: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- Where: Royal BC Museum, 675 Belleville Street