Can you believe we’re almost halfway into January?!
Here are 12 events to keep you going this weekend:
Ever wanted to explore some of the smaller islands that surround Vancouver Island? Now might be your chance as South Island SUP is hosting a Small Island Tour this.
Beginner paddle boarders can see the coast like never before, and intermediate – advanced paddlers can take an even longer, more intimate look at the islands just offshore.
- When: Saturday, January 12th, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Where: Near the Swartz Bay Ferry Terminal, 11300 Pat Bay Highway, see their event page for further details.
This Super Smash Bros tournament will include both Singles and Doubles events! Doubles will begin at 12:00pm and Singles will begin at 3:00pm!
Cash prizes awarded to the top 4 cut for each event. The cash prizes are determined by the total amount collected from each event’s entry fees.
Registration will be accepted on the day of the event, but priority will be given to pre-registered entrants who register here.
- When: Saturday, January 12th, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Where: Epic Games & More, 2612 Quadra St
Calling All Actors!
Four Seasons Musical Theatre is holding auditions for their spring production of Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. This revival celebrates the 10 year anniversary of FSMT’s original performance of this family favourite!
- When: Saturday, January 12th, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: Four Seasons Musical Theatre, 1500a Admirals Road
Fancy some dinner and a show? How about a fantastic dinner with fantastical magic?
Perfect for date goers or magic lovers, this event at the Ambrosia Centre in downtown Victoria is not one to be missed.
- When: Saturday, January 12th, 6 p.m. – 11 p.m.
- Where: Ambrosia Centre, 638 Fisgard Street
Aretha Franklin was one of the most iconic voices in music history and a brilliant artist. Over the course of her decades-long career, she inspired countless musicians and fans, and created a legacy that paved the way for a long line of strong female artists.
Maria Manna, Maureen Washington, April Gislason, Susannah Adams and Shanna Dance are five Victoria based singers who would like to show their gratitude and pay tribute for all that Ms Franklin did for each of them.
- When: Saturday, January 12th, 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Where: Dave Dunnett Community Theatre, 2121 Cadboro Bay Rd
The creative force has arrived at the Sidney Museum with their newest presentation of the ever-popular Lego Exhibition celebrating over 60 years of Lego imagination.
Dozens of Star Wars themed Lego models provide a special focus for this exciting exhibit, rounded out by hundreds of other Lego models including Hogwarts Castle and Lego model of the Bugatti Chiron automobile. Admission is always by donation.
- When: Daily, 10:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Sidney Museum, 2423 Beacon Avenue
This yoga club is celebrating its 1 year anniversary by giving away free classes all weekend!
- When: Saturday, January 12th, 10 a.m. – Sunday, January 13th, 7:30 p.m.
- Where: Quantum Yoga Club, #8 – 1701 Douglas St
- When: Sunday, January 13th, 11 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Where: Cadboro Bay Beach
Come explore some of Victoria’s oldest buildings while munching on decedent local chocolate with this fun downtown walking tour.
No rain is scheduled for this weekend’s forecast, so now’s the perfect time to shake off some winter dreariness
- When: Sunday, January 13th, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Meet outside Chocolaterie Bernard Callebaut, 621 Broughton Street
- When: Sunday, January 13th, 8 p.m.
- Where: Yates Street Taphouse, 759 Yates St
Start your Sunday at the Victoria Flea Market and put a smile on someone’s face. The Vic Flea is the Sunday morning hangout for locals and a friendly stop in for visitors from out of town.
Every Sunday find up to 60 vendors with everything from postcards to estate jewellery, vinyl records, cameras, typewriters, tools, retro furnishings, vintage clothes and textiles, silver, ceramics, bakelite, art and unique items from Victoria’s best pickers. Vintage, repurposed, refreshed and handmade treasures for house and garden.
- When: Sunday, January 13th, 9 a.m.
- Where: 411 Gorge Rd E.
Have you always wanted to learn how to sew? The Makehouse offers a 4 part sewing boot camp will help get you going.
Repetition is important in learning any new skill, so practicing your sewing 4 sessions in a row will help to cement what you have learned and open new doors to your creative sewing life!
- When: Sunday, January 13th, 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: The Makehouse, #400-2950 Douglas St