Whether you’re an avid bookworm, or a novice reader looking to test the literary waters, this event is poised to bring people together amid hundreds of thousands of stories, poems, biographies, and more!
We’re talking about the annual Times Colonist Book Sale, which raises funds for education and literacy programs across Vancouver Island every year.
The event has grown in popularity ever since its inception in 1998, and has raised over $5 million to date.
One of the main factors that makes this particular readers’ haven so popular is the prices: hardcovers $3; softcovers $2; pocket books and children’s books $1. They’re unbeatable!
How to prepare for the TC book sale this weekend
This annual start-of-summer tradition will be back for its 22nd year after a largely successful book drive in April.
The event itself is sure to have lengthy line-ups and will be packed full of readers, just like every other year, so here are some tips on how to prepare for the day:
- If you’re driving, free parking is available along Quadra Street. But fair warning: these spots will fill up fast.
- A paid parking lot serves both the Victoria Curling Club (where the event is held) and the Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre.
- For those who don’t want to risk not being able to find a parking spot, the BC Transit number 6 bus will take you straight to the venue.
- Wear comfortable shoes and make sure your devices are fully charged – there will be a long queue around the block before the doors open on Saturday morning.
- Don’t worry about bringing food, or having to leave the event for lunch – Good Fellows café located inside the Curling Club will remain open for the duration of the book sale.
- Children’s books will be stocked upstairs but patrons are advised to leave their strollers on the ground floor.
- While you may want to bring your own carrier bag, the Curling Club will also have cardboard boxes on hand to help you lug your book haul home.
Whether you’re planning to line up outside the venue at 5 a.m. this Saturday, or prefer to take in the two-day event at a more leisurely pace, we can almost guarantee that you’ll find some treasures at the annual TC book sale.
- When: Saturday, May 11th & Sunday, May 12th, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Curling Club, 1952 Quadra Street