charles street fire Flames shoot out of the top-floor window of a heritage home on St. Charles Street in Victoria, B.C., Monday, Sept. 7, 2015. (Courtesy Jim McKenna)

A dozen people are homeless and a pet was killed after fire ravaged a century-old home in Victoria Monday morning, but firefighters say it could’ve been much worse.

No one was injured after flames broke out at the Tudor-style home at 811 St. Charles Street at around 9:10 a.m., according to fire officials.

Viewer video caught flames shooting out of a top-floor window as thick smoke poured from the roof.

Erin Dopko, who lives beside the home, said she spotted smoke as she was letting her dog outside, and that’s when the quick-thinking neighbour took action.

“The door was closed, but I could hear voices from inside yelling ‘call 911,’” she said.

Continue reading at CTV Vancouver Island

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.