Giving is in the air! Here are some of the top “giving back” events to check out in Victoria between December 4 and 6. For a complete list of events, check out the Victoria’s event calendar.
IEOA Truck Light Convoy & Food Drive
- What: About 80 trucks will travel throughout the capital region lit up for the season. Gather at Western Speedway for the conclusion of the event. Admission to the Speedway is by cash or non-perishable food item. Coffee, hot dogs and hot chocolate are available by donation in support of the Mustard Seed Food Bank, Westshore Christmas Hamper Fund Society and Sidney Lions Food Bank.
- When: Saturday December 5, 2015, Parade begins 5:45pm from Odgen Point
- Where: View map for estimated times
Story Time with Santa at the Bay Centre
- What: Drop by Sunny Bear’s Workshop on Level 3 for “Story Time with Santa” on December 5th with readings at 11:00am and 1:00pm in support of BC Children’s Hospital.Festive activities from 10:00am-6:00 pm include:
– Letters to Santa, sponsored by Coast Capital Savings
– Festive crafts, sponsored by The Makehouse
– Festival of Trees colouring contest
– Festival of Trees scavenger hunt
The Bay Centre Sing-Along with Fintan O’Brien
- What: The Bay Centre is hosting a community Sing-along at 3:00pm in centre court. Sing along with Victoria local Fintan O’Brien to White Christmas and Silent Night. All ages and singing abilities are welcome! The Sing-along will not only raise awareness of the invaluable programs provided by BC Children’s Hospital Foundation to local families, but will also show our community support for the local families that will be residing at the Hospital this Christmas.
- When: Saturday December 5 from 10:00am-6:00pm
- Where: The Bay Centre, 1150 Douglas Street
Breakfast with Santa for BC Children’s Hospital & Victoria Sick Kids
- What: A one of a kind event for kids of all ages in support of BC Children’s Hospital and Victoria Sick Kids. You will be treated to a delicious buffet breakfast, live entertainment, activity stations, the Enchanted Fables Princesses and Superheroes of Victoria on site to entertain the kids. Most importantly a visit from Santa himself, and don’t forget your letters, which will be expressed delivered to the North Pole. More details and tickets here.
When: Sunday December 6 from 9:00am – Noon
- Where: Delta Victoria Ocean Pointe Resort & Spa, 100 Harbour Road
Annual Herring Sale – Fishermen Helping Kids With Cancer
- What: Goal is to raise money to help kids with cancer who are being treated at the BC Children’s Hospital. Purchase a 20lb bag of fresh BC herring for $20 or a 10lb bag for $15 and help us raise money for “Fishermen Helping Kids With Cancer”. Selling fresh herring until all 20,000lbs are sold! Info here
- When: Saturday December 5 from 7:00am – 4:00pm
- Where: Finest At The Seafood Boutique (FAS), 27 Erie Street
- What: Bring your loved one, family, friends or pet. For a $5 donation to United Way, get your photo taken under the giant mistletoe hanging from the main gate archway to Market Square. Your photo will be posted to United Way’s Facebook page for a chance to win a trip to Seattle aboard the Victoria Clipper. Need someone to hug or kiss? Ginger-B the gingerbread mascot will be there for awesome Kissmas photo ops!
- When: Saturday December 5 from 12:00pm – 3:00pm
- Where: Market Square, 560 Johnson Street
Pretty Things Craft fair
- What: Enjoy holiday shopping, food, music, vendors, vintage and more – choose from the products of 30 local designer artisans. The MS Society Art-E-Facts will also sell arts and crafts to raise money for MS. BBQ and bake sale put on by the UVic End MS Club. Enjoy the live entertainment. Partial proceeds to the MS Society of Canada.
- When: Saturday December 5 – Sunday December 6 from 10:00am – 4:00pm
- Where: MS Society of Canada, 1040 North Park Street
5th Annual Fill The Ambulance Food Drive
- What: Ambulance Paramedics and BC Ambulance Service will be hosting a food drive at Thrifty Foods in support of the Goldstream Food Bank. There will be an ambulance on site to accept non-perishable items, along with household cleaners, toiletries, unwrapped toys and cash donations.
- When: Sunday December 6 from 9:00am – 6:00pm
- Where: Thrifty Foods in Colwood, 1860 Island Hwy
Winspear Festival of Trees
- What: A beautiful collection of decorated trees, make sure to vote for your favourite one! Will be accepting new and unwrapped toys for Toys for Tots (ages 6 months – 16 years) and the Sidney Lions Food Bank.
- When: Starting Friday December 4 from 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Where: Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Avenue
Sidney Sparkles Christmas Parade
What:The annual Sidney Sparkles Christmas Parade starts at 5 p.m. and runs through the centre of town along Beacon Avenue. Immediately following the parade, head to the waterfront to view the parade of lighted boats that light up the coastline from Port Sidney to Tulista Park!
When: Sunday, December 6 @ 5:00 PM
Where: Beacon Avenue