Clams sold at Victoria’s Chinatown could be contaminated, warns DFO

If you purchased clams from Victoria’s Chinatown, the Department of Fisheries is warning people not to eat them, they could be contaminated.

The clams were harvested from an area in Brentwood Bay that was closed due to fecal contamination and may have recently been sold in Chinatown.

Eating contaminated shellfish can be dangerous and potentially fatal. Cooking will not make these shellfish safe to eat.

In British Columbia, all commercially harvested bivalve shellfish must be processed and inspected in a federally registered plant to assure quality control and safety.

Anyone who experiences any sickness linked to eating shellfish should report the problem immediately to their doctor.

DFO is investigating and ask any consumers to call 1-800-465-4336 for more information.




Get many more like it, straight to your inbox, every single day. We uncover the best of the city and put it all in an email for you!

Please select "I agree to get email updates" option.

Email field is required to subscribe.

We know this city. You should too. 👊