The Esquimalt Buccaneer Days is back and yes, if you are wondering, there is a slight change. The four day event is operating one month earlier, but all remains the same.
This fun-filled weekend is loaded with events for all ages, including a midway, dance, free local entertainment on field and on the stage in Bullen Park, sky divers, kids play zone, races and parade.
“A search through ancient documents held at the Esquimalt Municipal Archives reveals some of the history behind this annual celebration. For well over 60 years, Esquimalt held community events at this time of the year, while each May, the City of Victoria celebrated May Day with the crowning of a May Queen and a May Pole Dance,” reads a message on the event website.
The celebrations were discontinued in 1939, so Esquimalt began holding its own May Queen celebration. This evolved into Esquimalt Days and eventually, in 1966, became Buccaneer Days.
Every year, the town turned out in naval and pirate attire, vying for prizes for the best costume. The citizens of Esquimalt were also awakened at a very early hour by a loudspeaker mounted atop a van calling, “Wakey, Wakey!”
Apparently, the Wakey Wakey van will roll down the streets of Esquimalt once again this year, complete with members of the Esquimalt Fire Rescue team and a mystery voice.
The Buccaneer Days festivities have always been well attended, with over 20 community organizations taking part, which allows the community to work and play together, have a great time, and instill a feeling of accomplishment and pride in our community.
Attendees are advised to leave pets at home.
Admission is free. The midway will run from 3 to 10 p.m. Thursday, 3 to 11 p.m. Friday, 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. Saturday and 11 a.m. to 6 p.m.
When: May 12 to 15
FRIDAY, MAY 13
- SENIORS BBQ NOON – 1:30 pm
- STORMIN’ NORMAN’S PAINT BALL – 2:30 pm – 11:30 pm
- MIDWAY officially opens at 3:00 pm – 11:00 pm
- On the Buccaneer Stage in Bullen Park – 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Groove to the sounds of – VINTAGE FUNK – FREE SHOW!!!
SATURDAY, MAY 14 • 7:30 am – 2:00 am
- Wakey Wakey 7:00 am – 9:30 am
- Lions Pancake Breakfast – 7:30 am – 10:30 am
- Buccaneer Market Place, in the Arena this year, Esquimalt United Tea, Plant Sale, Bake Sale, Model Train Demonstration, Bake Sale, Pie Plate Sale, Display and Information Booths – 10 am – 5 pm
- Buccaneer Parade – 10 am – 11:30 am
- Community Food Booths – 10 am – 6 pm
- STORMIN NORMAN’S PAINT BALL10:30 am – 11:30 pm
- MIDWAY | Wrist Bands will be available – 11 am – 11 pm •
- Local Bands & Dancers on the Bullen Park Stage – 11:00 am – 5 pm
- Children’s Pirates Den – 11:30 am – 3 pm
- Children and Family Races – 1pm
- Nail Driving Contest – 2 pm
- Community Dance (out by 2 am) Dance will be in the Curling Rink. 2 Bands – “Busta Moove, and Rocksteady”. 6 pm – 1:00 am Background music is by “Entertainment Unlimited” from 7 pm – 9 pm, Bands start at 9 pm – 1 am.
SUNDAY May 15 • 9 am – 6 pm
- Community Food Booths 10 am – 5 pm
- Pie Plate Sale – 10 am – 3 pm
- Buccaneer Market Place is in the Arena this year, St. Georges Ukrainian Church Tea Plant Sale, Bake Sale, Model Train Demonstration, Display and Information Booths – 10 am – 4 pm
- STORMIN NORMANS PAINT BALL 10:30 am – 2:30 pm
- MIDWAY opens 11:00 am – 6 pm
- Dog Agility Demonstration at Bullen Park by VIC PD – 12 noon – 1 pm
- Local Bands & Dancers on the Bullen Park Stage – 12 noon – 4 pm
- Capital Comets Dog Sports – Dog Agility – 1:30 – 2:30 pm
3:30 pm • Pie Plate/Sky Diving Contest