File photo May 17, 2016. ItkasanImages/VictoriaBuzz

The province says it has applied for an injunction to end Victoria’s tent city and says it is submitting 69 affidavits that speak to the increase in “criminality and the deterioration” of conditions at the site.

Chief Justice Hinkson has assigned himself to hear the application and has set hearing dates for June 27 and 28.

The application follows the B.C. Fire Commissioner’s determination last week that the courthouse site is not in compliance with two fire safety  orders – issued in February and May – and, as a result, “the danger to  life safety created by the fire hazards is increasing and is considered to be only a matter of time before a serious fire incident occurs.”

Based on the fire safety report, as well as concerns about site deterioration and public safety, the Province has spent the past week compiling further evidence and affidavits supporting the need to end the encampment.

In April, the B.C. Supreme Court rejected an earlier application for a  temporary injunction at the site.

Quick Facts:

* Since October 2015, the B.C. government has invested more than $5 million to add more than 190 new units of transitional housing and shelter for people at the homeless camp. Twenty-two people have also transitioned into permanent housing.

* The new units are in addition to the 147 year-round homeless shelter spaces in Victoria, as well as the 125 shelter spaces that are available during extreme weather.

For more information about services and supports for the homeless in Victoria, click here for a PDF report.

We know this city. You should too. 👊

We uncover the best of the city and put it all in an email for you!