The Sooke Basin is a small body of water located between Sooke and East Sooke. The shores are mostly rock, but along the north shore there are beautiful sandy beaches.
It is connected to the Strait of Juan de Fuca by Sooke Harbour, a 4 km long narrow natural harbour.
According to Wikipedia, the Sooke Basin is named for the T’sou-ke Nation of the Coast Salish peoples, the native inhabitants who had a thriving community and are believed to have been living in the general area for several thousand years before the arrival of the first European explorers. The first known European entry into Sooke Basin was by the Spanish, during the 1790 expedition of Manuel Quimper in the Princesa Real, with Juan Carrasco as pilot.
The Spanish gave Sooke Basin the name Puerta de Revilla Gigedo, in honour of then Viceroy of New Spain, Güemes Padilla Horcasitas, Count of Revillagigedo.