Image: Peterson BC

A small kitchen fire in the Hudson Mews apartments in downtown Victoria on Monday night damaged 13 suites after the building’s sprinkler system activated.

Victoria fire crews were called to the 120-unit building at 780 Fisgard just before 8 p.m.

It turned out to be a fire in a stove fan on the fifth floor of the building, and was already suppressed by the sprinkler system when fire crews located the source.

Get today's hottest stories straight to your inbox!

We know this city. You should too. 👊

Email field is required to subscribe.

The most significant damage was caused by the sprinkler system which caused an estimated $75,000 worth of damage to the suite where the fire originated and 12 other suites.

Most residents were allowed back in their home about 45 minutes later.

The building’s management team assisted with contacting repair contractors and organizing residents affected by the fire.

City of Victoria Emergency Social Services also assisted with the displaced residents.

DID YOU LIKE THIS ARTICLE?

Get many more like it, straight to your inbox, every single day. We uncover the best of the city and put it all in an email for you!

Please select "I agree to get email updates" option.

Email field is required to subscribe.

We know this city. You should too. 👊