6 mile shell cleaning cropped
Photo via Google Maps

If you’ve got Comet cleaner and bleach in your house, keep them separate.

On Wednesday, an employee at the 6 Mile Shell Station mixed the two cleaning products and suffered inhalation injuries. She had to be transported by ambulance to Victoria General Hospital.

The incident occurred at approximately 5:30 pm on July 5 on the Island Highway.

View Royal Fire Chief Paul Hurst described the reaction as producing a “highly toxic gas, similar in nature to chlorine or mustard gas.”

Despite exposure to the chemical reaction and subsequent injuries, Hurst said that the employee was actually quite fortunate. She left the enclosed area where the gas formed. If she hadn’t, the result could’ve been much worse.

The incident acts as a reminder to always read labels and refrain from mixing cleaning products.

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.