The Victoria Royals begin their 2017-18 WHL regular season on Friday, hosting the Vancouver Giants, their bitter BC Division rivals. Puck drop is set for 7:05pm.
Last season the Royals dominated the Giants, posting an 8-1-1 record over their 10 regular season matchups. Safe to say the Royals will have their hands full as they face a motivated Vancouver lineup.
Royals players at NHL camps
The Royals have had two players returned from NHL camps, defenseman Scott Walford and center Matthew Phillips.
Phillips, selected by the Calgary Flames in the 2016 NHL entry draft, returns from their camp and will look to build on last year’s 50-goal season. Walford was selected by the Montreal Canadiens this past June, and will aim to round out the defensive side of his game.
Chaz Reddekop is still at camp with the Los Angeles Kings, Tyler Soy is also in California with the Anaheim Ducks, and Vladimir Bobylev is out east at the Toronto Maple Leafs camp.
National Hockey League draftees
One thing many hockey fans take pleasure in while watching the Western Hockey League is the prospect of current WHL’ers making the jump to the big leagues one day.
Check out the list of NHL prospects playing in Friday’s game:
- Matthew Phillips, 166th overall in 2016 by the Calgary Flames
- Scott Walford, 68th overall in 2017 by the Montreal Canadiens
- Ty Ronning, 201st overall in 2016 by the New York Rangers
- Brad Morrison, 108th overall in 2015 by the New York Rangers
- When: Friday, September 22nd. 7:05pm puck drop.
- Where: Save-on-Foods Memorial Center
- Tickets: Get tickets here!