The holiday season is a time for giving, and a Victoria couple could use some help from the community right now.
On Christmas Day, the Patterson/Roberts family noticed embers coming from the ceiling above their wood-burning stove. For the next six hours they could only watch as their family home of decades slowly burnt to the ground.
They were able to make it out safely with a few beloved family possessions and their two cats and dogs – but lost everything else in the fire.
They need your help to piece their lives back together
Currently the couple is staying at a motel with their pets, as they try to piece together their lives.
They also have a small hobby farm with chickens and llamas that were unharmed directly by the fire. Unfortunately, the water and power supply to the farm had to be cut off for safety reasons.
A GoFundMe campaign has been launched to help them pay for day-to-day bills in the short term, help with the animals, and perhaps more importantly, offer a spark of hope with the knowledge that they are not alone.
You can donate to the Patterson/Roberts family here.
At the time of writing this article, $5,740 had been raised in three days.