Charitable organizations across B.C. are running low on funds this holiday season, as there have been fewer donations than is normal for this time of year.
Both organizations offer resources like food, shelter and safe houses for people in need. Victoria’s Our Place Society also hands out presents to people living at their shelter on Christmas day, but they are running $130,000 short this year.
Usually the most fruitful time of year
The executive director of Our Place Society told CTV that about half of the charity’s funds come from the generosity of donors in December, which helps finance their work for the rest of the year.
He believes that there could be several factors causing the shortage, one of which may be that there are more organizations looking for help now than there ever has been before.
Ways to help
If you would like to get involved with Our Place Society’s Christmas fundraising efforts, there are several ways you can help:
- Make a one-time donation to Our Place Society, or become a monthly donor
- Sponsor a meal for people in need
- Buy tickets to the Hungry Hearts fundraiser event
- Donate to the Out of the Cold campaign to help them keep their shelter open for longer hours during the winter
- Volunteer to help out at one of their many service locations
- Organize your own fundraising event by following their guidelines