February is Black History Month and we know what you can do to participate!
Artists from around the world are about to visit Victoria (and other cities in B.C.) to perform in the ISSAMBA show – a series of interactive performances that showcase the rhythms and musical stylings of various African regions.
Hosted by AfriCa-Fest Canada and Victoria African & Caribbean Cultural Society, the show is in honour of Black History Month and highlights the range of African music and dance.
“Educate, Unite, Celebrate Community”
The ISSAMBA show is in keeping with the 2018 theme for African Heritage Month, whose aim is to encourage people to learn more about African-Canadian history.
Take an evening to relax and immerse yourself in the tunes and moves of Africa.
Musicians and dancers:
Here’s a lineup of the performers you won’t be able to forget!
- Mamadou Diabate: world-renowned balafon (African xylophone) player who was born in Burkina Faso. He current lives in Austria, where he’s been honing his art to perfection.
- Merlin Nyakam: master of African and Afro-Contemporary dance, born in Cameroon.
- Adama Dembele Bilorou: legendary percussionist from Paris.
- Salif Lasso Sanou: Montreal-based African flute specialist.
- Akra Soumah: Ottawa-based dundunfola (African base drum) player.
- And more!
- When: Thursday, February 1st, 7:30 PM – 10:30 PM
- Where: Mary Winspear Centre, 2243 Beacon Ave, Sidney
- Admission: Click here to purchase tickets