As part of the dozens of anti-pipeline protests happening across Canada today, three rallies are taking place in Victoria, Sidney, and Langford.
These rallies were planned by groups like Leadnow.ca, GreenPeace, Sierra Club BC, and The Council of Canadians in objection to the federal government’s plans to purchase the Trans Mountain pipeline and infrastructure related to the expansion project for $4.5 billion from Kinder Morgan.
The protests in Victoria and Sidney began at 11 AM, while the rally in Langford is set to commence at 3:30 PM today, June 4th.
Victoria – Protestors gathered at The Atrium Building (808 Yates St) to call MPs and Liberal Ministers while demonstrations occurred at the same time across the country.
Sidney – The rally took place in the parking lot in front of the Tim Hortons at the Beacon Plaza.
Langford – This demonstration will begin at 3:30 PM outside BC Premier John Horgan’s office on 122 – 2806 Jacklin Rd.
Organizers hope that the 100+ protests taking place across the nation will be enough backlash to stop Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and his Liberal government from finalizing the pipeline buyout.
Here’s a list of the other snap action rallies on Vancouver Island today:
- Pender Island – Slow Coast Cafe, 2 PM
- Mayne Island – Miners Bay, 12:30 PM
- Salt Spring Island – Centennial Park, 12 PM
- Gabriola Island – Folklife Village Mall, 2 PM
- Nanaimo – NDP MP Sheila Malcolmson’s office, 4:45 PM
- Parksville – NDP MP Gord Johns office, 5 PM
- Port Alberni – Harbour Quay, 5 PM
- Hornby Island – Co-Op store, 11 AM
- Courtenay – Courthouse, 12 PM
- Campbell River – NDP MP Rachel Blaney’s office, 12 PM