You don’t have to stop having fun just because it’s Tuesday.
Here are 5 things to do in and around Victoria today.
- What: Fresh from their recent Victoria Fringe box office smashes: Ian Case (War Of 1812) directs David Elendune’s (Sherlock Holmes & The Curse of Moriarty) adaptation of Mary Shelly’s Frankenstein, winner of the 2017 Classical Theatre Company’s Playwrighting Competition. Staying true to the essence of the original classic by Mary Shelley, David explores the humanity of the characters, and how this is tested through the moral dilemmas they face during the course of the action. This tale presents a once “unthinkable” concept that many could argue is becoming less of an “if” than a “when.” What defines life? What is the value of life? Does anyone have the moral authority over the creation or destruction of what constitutes existence? These are heady questions, but they can also be the stuff of nightmares, and as a prelude to the Halloween season Frankenstein delivers!
- Where: Theatre Inconnu – 1923 Fernwood Road
- When: 8 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- What: With an undeniable voice and an arsenal of powerful songs, Martha Wainwright is a beguiling performer and a refreshingly different force in music. Martha began building a buzz with her well-noted EPs, prior to her 2005 critically and commercially successful debut LP, ‘Martha Wainwright’. London’s Sunday Times included the song, “Bloody Mother Fucking Asshole” in their songs of the year and Rolling Stone called it “a blistering prelude to her debut album.” 19+
- Where: Capital Ballroom – 858 Yates Street
- When: 8:00 pm
- Cost: Advance tickets: $25.00 – Available online at Ticketweb.ca (http://bit.ly/MWAINVIC) and at Lyle’s Place
- What: It’s happening! The third annual Victoria Festival of Authors launches September 25, 2018 with a fantastic lineup of local and national authors. Join in on seven days of readers and writers celebrating words and engaging with ideas. Listen to inspiring readings, check out the diverse voices on discussion panels, and attend workshops to develop your own craft.
- Where: GVPL Central Branch | Community Room | 735 Broughton St.
- When: 7 p.m. (See full schedule)
- What: This week Dan Duvall will be hosting. Shafts and RaceRocks on special.Line up: Ben Fawcett, Cory Lupovici, Rosa Graham, Zach Lewis, Andrew Mack and Ty Lemmon
- Where: Lucky Bar – 517 Yates
- When: 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
- What: SPECIAL EVENT at regular prices! Stay after the film for a discussion hosted by Dr. Matt Pollard, Department of Germanic and Slavic StudiesThis German film was a landmark depiction of life in the trenches for four German infantrymen in the closing months of World War I. Cited for its vivid battle depictions and pioneering use of sound, the film was later censored by Nazi authorities because of its pacifist message.
- When: 7 p.m. to 8:30 pm.
- Where: Cinecenta Films – Student Union Bldg, 3800 Finnerty Rd