One-bedroom rates in Victoria are on the up

The B.C. Residential Tenancy Branch has set the maximum possible rent increase for B.C. to 4.5% – the biggest annual rent jump since 4.6% in 2004. Landlords must give their tenants at least three months notice prior to increasing the rent.

The rent increase is calculated by using the B.C. Consumer Price Index and a relevantly developed formula.

Once in a 12-month period, the B.C. government allows landlords to increase the price of rent at the same calculated rate of inflation, plus 2%.

The current B.C. Consumer Price Index calculation for average change in inflation sits at 2.5%. The cost of inflation plus the additional 2% brings the total maximum rent increase allowed to 4.5%.

This rent increase cap only affects existing tenants, with no limits in place for new tenants entering a property.

British Columbia’s rent increase can look strikingly high when compared to other provinces and territories. Ontario’s rent increase for 2019, for example, sits at 1.8%.

In an effort to combat growing housing issues in B.C., the B.C. government created a Rental Housing Task Force in April 2018.

The task force has recently travelled across B.C. to review rental conditions, and will share its recommendations before the end of the year.

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.