Willie’s Cafe & Bakery has closed its doors for good.
The all day breakfast and lunch eatery located at 537 Johnson Street gained a reputation for their plentiful all day breakfasts and lunches.
Founded in 1887, Willie’s was British Columbia’s first bakery. It was owned and operated by four generations of the Wille family.
We are being told staff showed up for work and “received an extra two week pay cheque and were told they would be closing the doors.”
Both Google and Facebook show the business as “permanently closed.”
The cafe which was still operating at the original location closed its doors in 1976, and after a 23-year hiatus, reopened in 1999.
We have reached out to the café for comment but have yet to hear back. We will update this article once they respond.