Comox Valley RCMP are investigating an incident where a young child was taken to the hospital after ingesting cannabis-infused gummy bears.

According to a press release, officers launched a criminal investigation after the child ate an unknown number of discarded cannabis-infused gummy bears she found in the back seat of a vehicle.

Her parents took her to the hospital immediately when she displayed signs of medical distress. The child was then air lifted to another hospital for further treatment and is expected to make a full recovery.

Her parents are cooperating with officers in the investigation.

“This is a very unfortunate situation that brings to light the dangers of cannabis infused edibles – specifically those that resemble candy,” said Cst. Monika Terragni of Comox Valley RCMP.

“These are products that need to be treated with the same care and control that we treat our prescription drugs with.”

Officers are reminding the public that cannabis could be toxic to children, and if you suspect your child has accidentally ingested a drug, call 911 immediately.

We know this city. You should too. 👊

We uncover the best of the city and put it all in an email for you!