(Kaylan Guindon)

A fire that broke out early Thursday morning at a Cool Aid Society supportive housing complex downtown has caused significant damage, according to Victoria fire.

Just after midnight, fire crews were called to the residential building on the 700 block of Pandora Avenue.

When firefighters arrived they found the fire located in a fourth floor suite.

The building’s sprinkler system had been activated and while the sprinklers suppressed much of the fire, it also caused significant water damage to the room as well as four suites that were directly below.

Victoria fire estimates that the total damage done to the building is $100,000.

Smoking materials are being cited as the probable cause of the fire.

Fortunately, no one was harmed during the incident.

Subscribe to the Victoria Buzz newsletter to receive the latest news, events and more directly to your inbox. Every day.