The weekend is always welcome sight, and a long weekend is especially so. The Island is full of fun activities over the next couple days, we compiled a few that we thought you’d find interesting.
Victoria Buzz would like to thank veterans and Canadian Forces members for their service.
Here are 14 things to do in and around Victoria this long weekend, November 10th – 12th:
Saturday, November 10th
The Victoria Royals have partnered with the Canadian Forces to host their Canadian Military Appreciation Night during the Saturday game against the Spokane Chiefs.
The game promises to be a heated one, and tables and interactive displays will line the arena concourse showcasing equipment, gear, and education on different sectors of the Canadian Forces. There will also be a live and silent auction with proceeds going to veterans and their families.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10th, doors open at 6:00 p.m. and puck drops at 7:05 p.m.
- Where: Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre – 1925 Blanshard Street
The Creative Craft Fair is Victoria’s most established pop-up market, and its returning this weekend for its 41st consecutive year. The fair has over 125 exhibitors, and is home to clothing, gourmet food, fine imported items, and actually so much more.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10th, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., and Sunday Nov. 11th, 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Pearkes Rec Centre, 3100 Tillicum Road
West Coast Swing nights are fun and approachable weekend activity. The Saturday night lesson is great for beginners, and no partner is necessary! Exercise has never been so fun.
- When: Saturday, November 10th, 8:00 p.m. – midnight.
- Where: 843 Fisgard St.
You can find vinyls, CDs, LPs, and more at this Fernwood vinyl record show. Vendors have come form across Vancouver Island and the lower mainland to bring awesome and vintage music. This market will be perfect for fans of any genre.
- When: Saturday, Nov. 10th, 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
- Where: 1240 Gladstone Ave, the Fernwood Community Centre.
Monarch Furnishings, a locally owned and operated retailer of home decor and fine furnishings, is collecting clothing donations for an Island charity this weekend. Those who bring donations, specifically warm clothing for youths aged 12-24, will receive a 15% discount on any furniture offered.
- When: November 10th – 11th, 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Where: 1120 Hillside Ave.
The annual salmon run, where tens of thousands of fish make their way back to Goldstream to spawn, has begun!
- When: From now until mid December
- Where: Goldstream Park
Shop and celebrate the holidays in vintage style! Yes, find unique, one-of-a-kind gifts for yourself and loved ones this year! Scoop up charming, vintage holiday decorations and ornaments for your home, and have a fun, festive time with our vintage-style entertainment too!
- When: Saturday, November 10: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- What: Leonardo Da Vinci Italian Centre – 195 Bay Street
Sunday, November 11th
The 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 marked the end of WWI, and now, 100 years later, Canada still remembers.
You can find a remembrance day ceremony in almost every municipality, and we’ve created a list of events taking place on Sunday if you’re interested in attending one.
- When: Sunday, November 11th, each ceremony has its own starting time but most begin between 10:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Where: Many municipal buildings or parks.
When’s the last time you heard a rockin’ professional accordion solo? The Civic Orchestra of Victoria is playing its 35th annual concert, and this year will feature the orchestra accompanying three internationally recognized accordion soloists from the concurrent International Accordion and Tango Festival.
- When: Sunday, November 11th, concert begins at 2:30 p.m.
- Where: Dave Dunnet Community Theatre (Oak Bay High School), 2121 Cadboro Bay Rd
Join two experienced botanists for a free workshop on the effects and uses of Nootka Rose, a local flower.
There’ll be a presentation about the plant, a short walk to harvest rose hips, and then a workshop where visitors will make wild rose tea and rose hip jam.
- When: Sunday, Nov 11th, 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Where: Sannich Native Planets, 741 Haliburton Rd
Fancy yourself a pool shark? Peacock Billiards in downtown Victoria is hosting a 9 ball tournament night. The competition will have round robin, no knockouts format with cash prizes up for grabs, so bring your A game!
- When: Sunday, Nov 11th, 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Where: Peacock Billiards, 1175 Douglas St.
Elixir Creative Food is holding a free workshop on how to make plant-based milk, like almond, cashew, grain, and more.
The class will go over how to make these milks, the best ways to store them, and the best tools to use to make them with.
- When: Monday, Nov 12th, 6:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Where: 2579 Graham St.
The IF4 festival is a huge fly fishing movie event. Short films from all over the globe will be presented on Monday night, showcasing the sport in diverse countries, with specialty lures, a range of fish.
- When: Monday, Nov 12th, doors open at 6:00 p.m. and films begin at 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Robinson’s Outdoor Store, 1307 Broad St.
Skate Lisa is a world renowned roller skater from Venice Beach, California. She’ll be hosting two skating classes through Roller Skate Victoria, a morning one for beginners and an afternoon session for intermediates.
It’s not just about learning to move in them, it’s about learning to dance!
- When: Monday, Nov 12th, 12:30 p.m. – 2 p.m. (beginner) and 2:15 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.(intermediate/advanced)
- Where: Royal Roads University Recreation Centre, 2005 Sooke Rd.