Impulse Theatre’s new festival, PEEK-FEST, features emerging artists in Victoria and Vancouver and is overtly queer-positive and anti-oppressive. It involves live performances, workshops, a free gallery, and a celebratory closing reception.
PEEK-SHOW is comprised of multiple seven-minute performances, where the artists have been encouraged to share new art and ideas that inspire them.
This features three unique 30-minute shows created via Impulse Theatre’s Residency Program, which gave the artists 20 hours of studio time to hone their performances:
- Gender is Mine: A One Person Poetry Slam by Rose Cotton, in which she features the secrets and desires of “an ancient Mesopotamian Snake Monster, an envious AI, and a nostalgic gay erotica connoisseur.”
- culture capital, a trading card game inspired by the Canadian arts economy.
- TBD (To Be Devised), a show based on voice messages sent between the artists over nine months while separated from each other.
- Intro to Isadora with Milton Lim covers a software tool used to integrate video and interactive media into live performance.
- Grant Writing for the Emerging Artist with Matthew Payne teaches aspiring professional artists how to apply for grants.
- The Storytelling Body with The Wonderheads focuses on the physical aspects of storytelling and mask performance.
Another cool thing about Impulse: they’ve provided free access to all workshops to four emerging arts workers who identify as queer, trans, Indigenous, and/or a person of colour.
Tickets for the performances are $10 if purchased online and $15 at the door. All the events will take place at Intrepid Theatre Club at 1609 Blanshard St.
Here are the details:
Nov 23, 8:00pm
Multiple seven-minute performances by a variety of artists from Victoria
Nov 24, 8:00pm
Gender is Mine: A One Person Poetry Slam by Rose Cotton
culture capital by Milton Lim and Patrick Blenkarn (Vancouver)
TBD (To Be Devised) by BROKEN DOWN BUS
The Storytelling Body with The Wonderheads:
Nov 25, 10:00am-2:00pm
Closing Reception (free!)
Nov 25, 10:00pm
It’s a party! Beer and wine available
- Where: Intrepid Theatre Club, 1609 Blanshard (wheelchair accessible)
- Admission: Tickets start at $10 online and are $15 at the door. Click here to purchase.