Saturday, June 22, 2024

Floyd’s Diner owner confirms search for new downtown Victoria location


Less than a month after the original Floyd’s Diner shut its doors, the owner of the popular local chain has confirmed that the search for a new downtown location is currently underway — with the new restaurant potentially opening as soon as this Spring.

The original Floyd’s, which was located on the corner of Quadra and Yates Street, closed on January 2nd after 15 years due to a disagreement on lease terms. Two other locations remain open in James Bay and Langford.

Petr Prusa, owner of Floyd’s, told Victoria Buzz that several new downtown locations are under consideration. If the property currently being looked into by Floyd’s is granted approval, a new branch could open its doors in downtown Victoria as early as April.

However, Prusa would not directly name any downtown spots being considered for Floyd’s, as he is still communicating with several landlords to figure out the best fit.

Around 10% of the staff from the original downtown Floyd’s were relocated to positions in the James Bay and Langford locations. The other 90%, Prusa said, took some time off to relax and may return if (and when) a new location is found.

“Everybody’s kind of in a hold pattern,”  said Prusa, as all staffing decisions will become more concrete after the premises are secured.

Prusa described touring one potential property, which was “brand-spanking-new.” The building had modern, glass-based architecture and didn’t invoke the particular atmosphere of Floyd’s, so they passed.

“It just has to have that feel of Floyd’s in it,” Prusa said. “We’re just looking for something that has some character to it … it just has to have those bones that feel right.”

One thing is for certain — the new location will have the trademark bright pink walls Floyd’s is known for, since it is a non-negotiable mandate for any lease agreement they sign.

Read more

Latest Stories