Howard the Gnome, the world’s tallest gnome who was at risk of being torn down at the end of the month, will soon have himself a new home!
While offers came in from around the world, Bridget Matewish, granddaughter of Ron Hale who built Howard in 1998, and her family narrowed down the gnome’s home to five Vancouver Island locations.
- The world’s tallest gnome on Vancouver Island is being torn down
- World’s tallest gnome on Vancouver Island needs to be repaired before finding a new home
Currently, Howard sits in front of a Chevron gas station in Nanoose Bay. After falling into disrepair, the company told Matewish that Howard would be destroyed if he was not moved. A GoFundMe campaign was started and now the giant gnome will get the repairs he needs.
The five locations where Howard may move to are:
- Galey Farms, Saanich
- Fast Time Grand Prix, Parksville
- Log Cabin General Store, Parksville
- Treasures, Curio and RV Park in Coombs
- White River Resort in Sayward
“We have narrowed it down to our final 5, although we appreciate each and every interested party and offer of support,” reads an update from Howard the World’s Tallest Gnome Facebook page.
“We are taking his longevity and care into account as well as ensuring he will continue to be in the family based environment he was originally built for.”
The family is expected to make a final decision on Tuesday, March 26th.