The weekend has arrived, Victoria!
Events around the city are especially cool this weekend, like a massive hobby and toy fair, the 8th annual Touch a Truck day in North Saanich, a youth-led market inside the Bay Centre, a Cook Street block party, and so much more!
To help get your weekend kickstarted, here are 15 things to do in and around Victoria.
One of Victoria’s favourite annual events for kids and grown-ups alike is coming back to the Pearkes Recreation Centre this weekend… and we’re giving you a chance to attend it for free!
On both Saturday and Sunday, over 200 vendors will be offering up items like action figures, vintage toys, models, trains, comics, Barbie dolls, LEGO, video games, Transformers, Hot Wheels, vinyl records, and more.
Find out how to win tickets from Victoria Buzz online here!
- When: Saturday, May 25th – Sunday, May 26th, 9:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Where: Pearkes Recreation Centre, 3100 Tillicum Rd
- Admission: General Admission at the door is $5. Kids are FREE!
Come check out the student-lead market inside the Bay Centre today!
Kidovate has local students and entrepeneurs aged 11 – 16 selling their own self-made products with a portion of the profits going towards local charities! Now’s the perfect time to pick up something unique while supporting the community,
- When: Saturday, May 25th, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Where: The Bay Centre, 1150 Douglas Street
Do you have items laying around your home in disrepair? Thinking of throwing them out? Try taking them to Repair Cafe instead!
The repair cafe is a community get togher where people repair their household items, like holey sweaters, a broken toaster, or a busted teddy bear. The cost is free, but the repair cafe is accepts donations to keep the event running.
- When: Saturday, May 25th, 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
- Where: Greater Victoria Public Library, 735 Broughton Street
Few countries love the fiddle as much as Canada, and few young Canadian fiddlers today can show off the breadth and range of fiddling like the youth fiddle ensemble, Coastline!
Come check out Coastline at the Dave Dunnet Community Theatre tonight for some electric performances! The ensemble has been able to perform, study and collaborate with some of Canada’s top fiddlers this year, thanks to a grant from the BC Arts Council.
- When: Saturday, May 25th, 7:30 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
- Where: Dave Dunnet Community Theatre, 2121 Cadboro Bay Road
The world renowned Swiftsure International Yacht Race begins today!
The event consists of nine races over five courses in the Strait of Juan de Fuca and regularly draws in sailors from across Canada, the US, New Zealand, and more. Spectators can catch the first race kick off from Clover Point at 9:00 a.m.
A full schedule of the races can be found online here.
- When: May 25th – 27th
- Where: Clover Point
Don’t miss your chance to see the cult classic film Lock Stock and 2 Smoking Barrels under the maltworks at Phillips Brewing & Malting Co.
Admission to the Phillips Backyard includes the film, a beer, and ‘a surprise’. Don’t forget to bring your own chair and blankets! Rental chairs are limited.
- When: Saturday, May 25th, Doors open at 8:00 p.m., Movie begins at 9:00 p.m.
- Where: Phillips Brewing & Malting Co., 2010 Government Street
Head down to Centennial Square for City of Victoria Youth Council’s first ever Cultural Day!
Visitors can expect to see a range of different cultural performances and traditional food to help celebrate the city’s vibrant multiculturalism at this community gathering.
- When: Saturday, May 25th, 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Centennial Square
Head down to the Centre Of The Universe for a FREE night exploring the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory.
Tonight’s star party will also feature Chris Gainor, President of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada, discussing the history of the Hubble Space Telescope. Don’t forget to register because these free nights tend to sell out fast!
- When: Saturday, May 25th, 7:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Where: Dominion Astrophysical Observatory, 5071 West Saanich Road
After a roaring success last year, Atomique Production’s Village Block Party is returning to Cook Street Village, and it’s promised to be the perfect party to kick off your summer!
The block party will feature over 120 local artisans, entertainment, dog races, and food and beverage vendors, including a Phillips Brewing & Malting Co. beer garden.
Where: On Cook Street (Oscar Street to Park Boulevard)
When: Sunday, May 26th, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Ever wondered what it’s like to sit in the driver’s seat of a big fire truck? How about a cement truck? Bring your friends and family over to the 8th annual Touch a Truck to have that experience first hand!
Touch a Truck is an annual fundraiser event hosted by Team 4 Hope that benefits paediatric research in B.C. Kids can get behind the wheel of all kinds of vehicles, from fire trucks, police cars, and ambulances to excavators, dump trucks, and cement trucks.
- When: Sunday, May 26th, 11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Where: Panorama Recreation, 1885 Forest Park Drive
- Admission: $15 per family in advance or $20 at the door. Individual admission available at the door for $10 per person or online for $11. Click here to purchase tickets online.
Come out for a fun-filled family event at Esquimalt Gorge Park!
The event includes a 2 km fundraiser walk for Cystic Fibrosis followed by a BBQ with a DJ, face painting, hula hoops, bubbles, selfie station, Superheroes of Victoria, Enchanted Fables Princess Parties – Victoria, BC, Pacific Animal Therapy Society – PATS, and more!
- When: Sunday, May 26th, 9:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Where: Gorge Park
Bastion Square Market Days is back in Victoria for the season!
This little market is filled with local vendors and is the perfect spot to pick up something truly unique.
- When: Sunday, May 26th, 10:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Where: Bastion Square Public Markets
Head down to the Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary for a honey of a program fit for the royalty of the insect world.
The day will include what the buzz is about bees how we can encourage bees into our backyards, and more. Visitors an also expect bee songs, bee crafts, and some bee spit to taste. Admission is by donation.
- When: Sunday, May 26th, 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Where: Swan Lake Christmas Hill Nature Sanctuary Society, 3873 Swan Lake Road
Paper Street Theatre presents an eclectic evening of improvised theatre!
The night will feature hilarious acts from the theatre’s Master’s Program and from Paper Street faculty.
- When: Sunday, May 26th, 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Where: Intrepid Theatre, 1609 Blanshard Street
Don’t miss Victoria’s first ever free jazz festival!
The day will start with a free Improv Salon performance which features saxophone, bass clarinet, drums, and more, followed by priced main concert in the evening. The evening concert showcases professional Canadian musicians from Victoria to Toronto and beyond.
- When: Sunday, May 26th, FREE Improv Salon from 4:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m., Main evening concert begins at 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Church of Truth, 111 Superior Street