Happy Victoria Day long weekend, Victoria!
There’s a colossal amount of things to do around the city over the next three days, including the Luxton Spring Fair, the 156th Victoria Highland Games, Victoria’s newest taco shop grand opening, and of course, the 121st Victoria Day Parade!
If you can’t make it down to the parade in person, Victoria Buzz will be livestreaming the event in person! Tune in to our Facebook page or website just after 9:00 a.m. to catch our live coverage of the parade with our very own hosts, Nicole Evans Bentham and Jonathan Knox!
Without further ado, here are 5 things to do in and around Victoria this long weekend.
Come one, come all to the 2019 Luxton Spring Fair, featuring rides, a heritage museum, VI Blacksmiths, multiple vendors, antique farm equipment, and more!
If you can’t make it out to the fair today, don’t worry, the event runs until Monday, May 20th!
- When: Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, May 18th – 20th | 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Where: Luxton Market, 1040 Marwood Ave
The largest and oldest Highland Games in Western has returned to Victoria for the 156th time!
This Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, enjoy international heavy event championships, Strongman Challenges, agility dogs competitions, falconry, a sword and stick fighting tournament, pipe bands, Highland/Irish dancing, whisky and wine schools, food and merchandise vendors, and more!
- When: Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, May 18th – 20th | 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Where: Topaz Park
Is your car in need of a nice wash? Head down to the Cedar Hill Scout Hall to support the local Cubs’ fundraiser for Our Place society.
The money raised will be used to make care packages for the downtown community centre.
- When: Saturday, May 18th | 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Where: Cedar Hill Scout Hall, 3680 Cottonwood Street
It’s time to meet, greet, and play with some of the most adorable adoptable pets from Bone & Biscuit!
Today’s event is the first of the season and takes place in Bone & Biscuit’s parking lot.
- When: Saturday, May 18th | 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
- Where: Bone & Biscuit, 3571 Blanshard Street
This is a Roller Derby night you won’t want to miss!
Join the Eves of Destruction for their 2019 home teams debut! The local Margarita Villains will be battling it out against Nanaimo’s Harbour City Rollers, and the home team’s Belles of the Brawl will take on the Squamish Women’s Roller Derby.
- When: Saturday, May 18th | Doors open at 5:00 p.m., derby begins at 5:30 p.m.
- Where: Archie Browning Sports Centre, 1151 Esquimalt Road
Head down to the Drake Eatery for a fun tasting event featuring complete with tacos!
The eatery is transforming itself into a tasting room for Four Winds beverages plus tasty tacos. No ticket is required for this all day event.
- When: Saturday, May 18th | 11:30 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.
- Where: The Drake Eatery, 517 Pandora Avenue
If you missed the Royal BC Museum’s Ancient Maya exhibit grand opening yesterday, the long weekend is the perfect chance to check it out!
The exhibit features a rare artifact that was crucial to determining hitherto unknown facts about the classic Maya period (CE 544).
- When: Saturday, May 18th | 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Where: The Royal BC Museum, 675 Belleville Street
Ever wanted to try out dragon boat paddling for FREE?
The Fairway Gorge Paddling Club is offering free dragon boat outings during this open house, and will match newcomers with experienced paddlers! All you need to do is sign a waiver to participate.
- When: Saturday, May 18th | 1:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Where: Fairway Gorge Paddling Club, 2940 Jutland Road
York 9 pays a visit to Westhills Stadium for a Canadian Premier League match-up.
- When: Saturday, May 18th | 12:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Where: Westhills Stadium, 1089 Langford Parkway
Don’t miss your chance to see comedian and actor Chris D’Elia perform a stand-up comedy set at the Royal Theatre!
D’Elia is best known for his stand up and starring role on the NBC comedy series, Undateable, his Netflix stand-up special, Man on Fire, and his hilarious weekly podcast, Congratulations with Chris D’Elia.
- When: Sunday, May 19th | 7:00 p.m. to 9:30 p.m. & 9:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Where: The Royal Theatre, 805 Broughton Street
Valar Morghulis, Victoria.
The Vic Theatre is hosting a one-of-a-kind FREE viewing party for everyone aged 19 years and above, to come enjoy the series’ finale on their big screen. Those who come in costumes will also be entered to win the title of ‘Best Dressed’
- When: Sunday, May 19th | 8:30 p.m.
- Where: The Vic Theatre, 808 Douglas St
- Admission: FREE. Click here to register
Bastion Square Market Days is back in Victoria for the season!
This little market is filled with local vendors and is the perfect spot to pick up something truly unique.
- When: Sunday, May 19th | 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Where: Bastion Square Public Markets
Enjoy a beautifully orchestrated evening of Drag Performances. Drag Sunday plays host to local Victoria Drag Queens, Kings, and Things.
Expect some gag-worthy performances as these shows are uncensored and un-moderated, so you never know what you’re going to see.
- When: Sunday, May 19th | Doors open at 10 p.m., Show starts at 11:30 p.m.
- Where: Paparazzi Night Club, 642 Johnson Street
Grab the family and explore fun hands-on activities at the Art Gallery of Greater Victoria!
The activities are connected to the current exhibition, Throw, Slip and Spin: Studio Ceramics, and will feature special guest Rachel Saunders, a local multidisciplinary artist and designer from Victoria.
- When: Sunday, May 19th | 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Art Gallery of Greater Victoria, 1040 Moss Street
Ingraham International School is a public high school, serving grades 9–12 in the Haller Lake neighborhood of Seattle. They’re in Victoria to take part in the 121st Island Farms Victoria Day parade and will be performing at the Cameron Bandshell in Beacon Hill Park on Sunday.
- When: Sunday, May 19th | 11:00 a.m. to noon
- Where: Cameron Bandshell, Beacon Hill Park
Don’t miss out on the Parade of Bands and 5th annual Drum Battle on Sunday on the lawns of the Legislature.
- When: Sunday, May 19th
- 10 – 10:45 a.m. West Seattle High School
- 10:45 – 11:15 a.m. Meridian Marching Trojans
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. Mt. Baker High School
- 1 – 2 p.m. Kingston Middle School
- 2 – 3 p.m. Parade of Bands
- 3 – 4 p.m. Drum Battle led by University of Washington
- 4:15 – 5 p.m. University of Washington Drumline
- 5 – 6 p.m. Hoquiam High School
- Where: Lawns of the Legislature, 501 Belleville Street
Runners who want to try their hand at leading the 121st Island Farms Victoria Day Parade can register for the Douglas Mile!
Runners start the race just 5 minutes before the Victoria Day Parade begins, and each participant will receive a race bag and other sponsor gifts. To participate in the race you must register online by 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, May 18th.
- When: Monday, May 20th | Race begins at 8:55 a.m.
- Where: Look for the Island Farms Tent on the corner of Summit Avenue & Douglas
The Island Farms Victoria Day Parade is back for its 121st year, and we couldn’t be more excited!
It’s promised to be another fun-filled and exciting event thanks to the Greater Victoria Festival Society, and Victoria Buzz will be there to livestream the parade in its entirety.
If you can’t make it down to the parade in person, tune in to our Facebook page or website just after 9:00 a.m. to catch our livestream of the parade with our very own hosts, Nicole Evans Bentham Jonathan Knox!
- When: Monday, May 20th | Parade starts at 9 a.m.
- Where: The parade begins at Mayfair Mall and continues along Douglas Street, finishing at the intersection of Douglas and Courtney Streets
The party doesn’t stop once the Victoria Day Parade is over!
Join the post-parade masses for ‘Celebration Square’ in Centennial Square after the parade finishes for ‘soccer darts’, bouncy castles, great food, local entertainment, crafts, and more!
- When: Monday, May 20th | 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Where: Centennial Square
Head down to The Mint for a night of awesome open mic talent!
Come showcase your skills, whether it’s music, comedy, dance, spoken word or poetry or just spectate and support the performers!
- When: Monday, May 20th | Registration 8:30 p.m., Show begins at 9:00 p.m.
- Where: The Mint, 1414 Douglas Street
Did someone say cheap tacos?
Puerto Vallarta Amigos, Victoria’s first food truck, has opened their brand new location at the Bay Centre! To celebrate, the amigs will be offering their tacos for just $1.50 each!
- When: Monday, May 20th | 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Where: The Bay Centre Food Court, 1150 Douglas Street