Happy Wednesday, Victoria!
On today’s agenda we have legendary Canadian musicians to meet, science to discuss over pints, local spoken word poetry to listen to, and more.
Without further ado here are 5 things to do in and around Victoria today.
Don’t miss your chance to meet Award-winning musician Geddy Lee of RUSH while he’s in Victoria to host a book signing at Bolen Books!
The lead vocalist, bassist, and keyboardist for Canadian rock group, RUSH, is currently promoting his book ‘Geddy Lee’s Big Beautiful Book of Bass’ through a book tour across North America and Victoria is his first stop.
- When: 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
- Where: Bolen Books Hillside Mall, 1644 Hillside Avenue
- Admission: Tickets are $93 + GST. Available in store or online here.
Head to Caffè Fantastico Specialty Coffees for this week’s Tongues of Fire, a twice-monthly spoken word open mic event.
Guests will hear (up to) 5-minute sets from 12 local performers, plus a 25-minute set from tonight’s featured poet, Jeremy Loveday.
- When: Sign-up begins at 7:30 p.m., Show starts at 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Caffè Fantastico Specialty Coffees, 965 Kings Road
Pint of Science will be in Victoria for the second time on May 20- !
The popular series features 24 speakers, 4 venues, and 3 days of science and beer. Enjoy a drink and let the fantastic speakers blow your mind with their latest scientific discoveries.
- When: May 20 to 22. Various times.
- Where: Moon Under Water Brewpub, 350 Bay Street – Sticky Wicket, 919 Douglas Street – Phillips Brewery, 2010 Government Street – Swan Brewpub, 506 Pandora Avenue
Another Wednesday can only mean one thing, Comedy Night at the Mint!
Join hosts Morgan Cranny and Drew Farrance as they bring together some of the funniest stand-up talent that Victoria has to offer.
When: 8:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m.
Where: The Mint, 1414 Douglas Street
Take part in a FREE 90 minute emergency prepardness workshop hosted by the City of Victoria.
Learn about the hazards that can affect our city, what to include in your home and vehicle emergency kits, what you can do to protect your home from an earthquake, and how to reunite with your loved ones after a disaster.
- When: 7:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Where: Victoria City Hall, 1 Centennial Square