Happy Father’s Day Weekend, Victoria!
There’s plenty of activities to try out with friends or deserving dads this weekend, like a FREE Filipino festival, an epic beer run, a free night at an observatory for star-gazers, and so much more.
Treat your dad to something fun with one of these 15 things to do in and around Victoria this Father’s day weekend!
Are you ready for a day full of dancing and singing, children’s activities, exhibits displaying traditional Filipino culture and tons of delicious Filipino food?
Head down to Centennial Square today to take part in the Mabuhay festival — whichmeans welcome — and celebrate Filipino cultural in honour of the Philippine Independence Day and the fact that June is the Filipino Heritage Month in Canada.
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Where: Centennial Square, downtown Victoria
- Admission: Free
Head down to the Centre Of The Universe for a FREE night exploring the Dominion Astrophysical Observatory.
Don’t forget to register because these free nights tend to sell out fast!
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 7:30 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Where: Dominion Astrophysical Observatory, 5071 West Saanich Road
Head down to the Saanich Peninsula for a vibrant community market with over 50 local vendors, live music, children’s activities, and more!
The market is the perfect place to find farm fresh products like jams and jellies, honey, homemade bread, cut flowers, assorted fresh meats, and more. Plus, the entire area is dog friendly!
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Where: Saanich Fairground 1528, Stellys Cross Road
Join Juno-Award winning artist Jessie Farrell, with Scout & Daisy, as she sings songs from the hit CBC Kids’ show, The Gumboot Kids and her Sparkle & Shine album in Fernwood!
Be sure to come early to hang out with Scout and Daisy before the show, and bring your cameras and phones for photos! At the show, families can also purchase Jessie’s CDs and the Gumboot Kids’ Scout & Daisy stuffies.
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 1:30 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Where: Fernwood Community Centre, 1240 Gladstone Avenue
Get read for one of North America’s most popular music festivals right here in Victoria before it begins!
Before the 22nd Annual Shambhala Music Festival begins, the organization is hosting Official Shambhala 2019 Pre-Parties, with one taking place at the Capital Ballroom! Each pre-party will give you a chance to win a ticket Shambhala 2019, so dust off those dancing shoes and hit the dancefloor!
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 10:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
Head downtown to the Gorge Waterway for the 15th annual dragon boat competition and festival!
There’s plenty to do for races and spectators alike, like delicious food from Sol Food Cafe and a thirst-quenching beer garden. The walkway also offers a perfect view of the 500-meter long dragon boat races.
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Gorge Waterway
Fans of funk won’t want to miss the longest running vinly-only Soul and Funk night in the city!
Come see the Victoria Event Centre transformed into a floor fillin’, soul shakin’ dance party!
You can also request songs through the group’s event page and they’ll try to bring down your vinyl of choice
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Where: Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street
Head down to the Victoria Public Market for a quick lesson on how to make a dleicious Greek Dinner at home from scratch!
The lesson will cover how to make Pork Souvlaki, homemade Tzatziki, Greek Potatoes, and Greek Salad. Each participant will be given a portion to eat at the end of class.
- When: Saturday, June 15th, 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Public Market, 1701 Douglas Street
Don’t miss Victoria’s 5th annual Car Free YYJ day!
This massive street celebration is a perfect activity to check out with your Dad for Father’s Day and features over 400 local artists, creators, and vendors, three stages full of live entertainment and music, an all-ages licensed food and beverage area spanning multiple blocks, a 19+ Beer Garden, and a 3,000 square foot silent disco.
- When: Sunday, June 16th, 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Where: Douglas Street between Caledonia Avenue and Courtney Street
- Admission: Free
*Note: All BC Transit buses that travel on Douglas street will be on detour.
Head down to Glad Tidings Church for Father’s Day waffle treats plus loads of fun surprises throughout the day.
“We’ll be serving ice cream after all our services and waffle cones special for dads, so make sure to invite him out or bring the whole family to church. We can’t wait to see you there!”
- When: Sunday, June 16th, 9:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Where: Glad Tidings Church, 1800 Quadra Street
Ever wanted to try combining a cardio with day drinking?
Now’s your chance at the 5th annual Victoria Beer Run! The run is a fun event that takes participants to 5 different local breweries and raises money for the Canadian Mental Health Association. Plus, participants receive loads of free swag and items!
- When: Sunday, June 16th, 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Where: Start location – 4 Mile Brewing Co., 199 Island Highway
End location- Lighthouse Brewing Co., 836 Devonshire Rd
- Admission: This event costs $66.49 per person. Click here to register.
For those who wish to volunteer instead, you can sign up at this link.
*Note: This event is for 19+ only. Please drink (and run) responsibly!
Celebrate Father’s Day morning at one of Victoria’s best charitable events!
The run features a 5K and 3K walk or run plus a fun run and activities area for kids. The event will also feature a breakfast, loads of prizes, and more. All funds from the run go to towards the Island Prostate Centre – caring for dads, granddads and all the men in our lives.
- When: Sunday, June 16th, 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Where: Vancouver Island Technology Park, 4464 Markham Street
Have you ever wanted to try Pole Dancing but didn’t know where to start? Then head down to Alive fitness studio for an all-skill levels class!
Pole Jam is an all levels pole practice lesson under the guidance of one of their certified Pole Instructors! You’ll have an opportunity to ask questions, receive movement feedback, critique on a pole piece or performance, see pro demonstrations and play alongside all your friends- new and old.
- When: Sunday, June 16th, 2:30 p.m. to 4:45 p.m.
- Where: Alive, 1821 Cook Street
Fans of improv and storytelling will want to check out Paper Street Theatre Co’s improv intensive today!
In this four-hour workshop, explore how narration can enhance the characters, style, and connections in your scene work.
- When: Sunday, June 16th, 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Paper Street Theatre Co., 1609 Blanshard Street
Reverend Horton Heat bring their Rockabilly Invasion Tour to Distrikt Nightclub on Sunday, June 16th with guests Bloodshot BILL, The Delta Bombers & The Hooten Hallers.
- When: Sunday, June 16th, 8:00 p.m. to midnight.
- Where: Distrikt Nightclub, 919 Douglas Street