There’s plenty to do and see this beautiful summer weekend, from cool classic car shows, to fireworks displays and more!
Grab your shades and check out these 12 things to do in and around Victoria this weekend:
If you happen to walk around downtown this weekend, don’t be surprised to notice Flamenco music wafting through the city.
For the 7th year in a row, Victoria is hosting a flamenco festival!
The Victoria Flamenco Festival is a dynamic and diverse community festival with ever-increasing local support and involvement. It is a venue for Vancouver Island Flamenco artists and students to develop their art through workshops and to share their passion with the greater community through performance opportunities.
- When: Friday, Saturday and Sunday (see times)
- Where: Centennial Square
Experience the taste and culture of Japan at Japan Fest on July 27, 2019 at the Broadmead Village Shopping Centre. Enjoy powerful Japanese drumming by Uminari Taiko, graceful Japanese folk dancing by award winning Furusato Dancers and savour delicious Japanese cuisine provided by FUDO Japanese Restaurant.
FUDO will be providing a special $7 snack menu – Chicken Karaage, California Roll, Yam Roll, or Edamame. This is a FREE family friendly event.
- When: Saturday, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m.
- Where: In the court yard outside of FUDO at the Broadmead Village Shopping Centre
Enjoy a movie night at the fort, Parks Canada style: with the option to camp overnight!
Come for popcorn and a movie or sign up in advance to sleepover in a tent. Bring your own blankets and chairs. See event page for rates.
- When: Saturday, 6 p.m.
- Where: Fort Rodd Hill and Fisgard Lighthouse National Historic Sites
You’re going to want to pop-by this pop-up! Whiffcraft Naturals is one of the three local makers that won free space at the Bay Centre’s recent ‘Pop-up Your Shop’ contest, and is now open on the lower level until the end of July.
- When: Open now until end of July
- Where: Lower Level – the Bay Centre – 1150 Douglas Street
Jaguars on the Island (JOTI) is scheduled for July 26-28. Hosted by The Jaguar Car Club of Victoria, it’s the largest Jaguar car show in North America. Bring whatever Jaguar you have, whether it is a concours restoration, daily driver, modern or classic, older or newer. All Jaguars are welcome.
- When: Saturday – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. (see full events and schedule)
- Where: Windsor Park in Oak Bay
Summer is just getting started in Victoria! After the cancellation of both Rifflandia and Rock the Shores music festivals this year, southern Vancouver Islanders are thrilled for the return of the city’s annual Phillips Backyard Weekender – and its already underway.
Here’s the full schedule:
Friday, July 26th
4 p.m. – Jennay Badger
5 p.m. – The Brass
5:30 p.m. – Random Recipe
6:45 p.m. – DJ Z-Trip
8:30 p.m. – Steel Pulse
Saturday, July 27th
3 p.m. – Yeezy Yee
4:30 p.m. – Just Jon x Dom Dias
5:30 p.m. – Haviah Mighty
6:30 p.m. – k-os
7:45 p.m. – Merkules
9 p.m. – Danny Brown
Sunday, July 28th
3:15 p.m. – Peach Pyramid
4 p.m. – Art d’Ecco
4:45 p.m. – The Mariachi Ghost
5:45 p.m. – Yamantaka // Sonic Titan
7 p.m. – Shad
8:30 p.m. – Dirty Projectors
Rock Star, California Kid, Spit Fire, & Identity Theft will showcase their car crushing, and wheelie popping skills in Freestyle Monster Truck action. Demo Cars/Trucks will compete for the Goodwin Cup, while Mini Figure 8’s will battle it out for the 2 day Figure 8 Nationals trophy in this action packed “Monster Weekend”!
- When: Friday and Saturday
- Grandstands open at 4:30, Qualifying 5:30
- Where: 2207 Millstream Road
This free weekly-weekend market features high-quality artist-made goods, delicious food trucks, and some of Victoria’s finest local musicians.
- Friday: 6:00 – 10:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Sunday (Long weekends only): 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Monday (Long weekends only): 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Inner Harbour, 100-1019 Wharf Street
Every summer since 1977, Butchart Gardens have put on a brilliant weekly fireworks display, and this year is no different.
Butchart Gardens summer hours are 8:45 am to 10:00 pm, but the gardens remain open for an hour after the admissions gate closes.
Access to the fireworks and subsequent events are included in general admission. So you can explore the Gardens to your heart’s content before settling in for the show.
- When: Saturday – fireworks start at 9:45 p.m. (see full schedule)
- Where: The Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Avenue
The 20th annual Oak Bay Collector Car Festival is cursing onto Oak Bay Avenue once again this Sunday. With nearly 300 vintage cars on display, the event is a celebration of vintage and collector cars of all makes and models for thousands of spectators and aficionados.
- When: Sunday, July 28, 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Where: Oak Bay Village, Oak Bay Avenue
Summer Block Party celebrating 50+ years of service by Our Place Society. We’re closing down the 900-block of Pandora to celebrate community.
- When: Sunday, from 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Where: 900 block of Pandora Avenue
Each Sunday in July and August from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, a new musical group takes the band shell stage in Beacon Park for a free community show.
- Where: Beacon Park, 9801 Seaport Place in Sidney
- When: Sunday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.