Rain or shine, be sure to get out and enjoy the Labour Day long weekend. Hopefully the sun will return and we can get back to that summer feeling.
Here are 10 things to do in and around Victoria:
Head to the Saanich Fair this Labour Day weekend to celebrate Western Canada’s Oldest Agricultural Fair. Enjoy live music, dance performances, eating contests, auction/raffle draw, and so much more! The focus is a “Family A Fair” and encourages families to come and enjoy the fairgrounds. Over 3000 people volunteer their time to put on the three day exhibition of sights and sounds.
- When: August 31st to September 2
- Where: Saanich Fairgrounds, 1528 Stellys Cross Road
The City of Langford, City Centre Grille, and Western Speedway have joined forces for the first annual Western Speedway Shockwave Seats Canada 200 Weekend Race Car Parade – through the streets of Langford. Race Cars will leave Western Speedway at 10:00 a.m. and drive down the road, via Millstream/Veterans Memorial Pkwy and Langford Parkway on their way to City Centre Park. Once at City Centre Park, racers and fans will enjoy a Pancake breakfast from City Centre Grille, with a portion of the proceeds going to Sport Assist. At 11:40 a.m., the race cars will once again take to the streets of Langford and head back to Western Speedway.
- When: Saturday starting at 10 a.m.
- Where: Langford/City Centre Park
GRL PWR is the 90’s girl group historical feminist lecture musical extravaganza of your dreams!
If you were the proud owner of a chupa chups sticker collection, who owned or longed for a chunky platform heel, who requires no screen prompts when belting No Scrubs or Spice Up Your Life at karaoke, and remembers that Beyonce was in a four member girl group – then this is the show for you!
Not a girl group superfan? This show also contains history and feminist theory for academics and is wildly entertaining for those who don’t particularly care about any of these things.
- When: Saturday, 7:45 p.m.
- Where: Metro Studio Theatre, 1411 Quadra Street
Watch the fastest Late Model drivers in BC battle it out for bragging rights in Reg Midgley Canada 200 Qualifying, followed by Qualifying Races to determine the starting lineup of Sunday’s 200 lapper. The BC Street Stocks competing for the Billy Foster Memorial Trophy, Outlaw 4’s, Old Timers Racing Association, & Hornets will be in action for a full night of Qualifying, Heat races, and feature events.
- When: August 31st and September 1, grandstands open at 4:30 p.m., qualifying 5:30 p.m., and racing at 6:30 p.m.
- Where: Western Speedway in Langford
It’s the last chance to catch the fireworks of the season. Every summer since 1977, Butchart Gardens have put on a brilliant weekly fireworks display, and this year is no different.
Butchart Gardens summer hours are 8:45 am to 10:00 pm, but the gardens remain open for an hour after the admissions gate closes.
Access to the fireworks and subsequent events are included in general admission. So you can explore the Gardens to your heart’s content before settling in for the show.
- When: Saturday – fireworks start at 8:45 p.m.
- Where: The Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Avenue
Victoria’s annual Greek Fest is back for its 18th year in Victoria — and it brings with it two weekends of live music, folk dance performances, and delicious Greek food!
It’s the final weekend of this event happening at the Greek Community Hall on Elk Lake Drive.
- When: Saturday and Sunday 11 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Where: Greek Community Centre, 4648 Elk Lake Drive
Happy Fringe season!
The Victoria Fringe Festival is described as a “celebration of live performance from around the world, featuring an eclectic mixture of spoken word, drama, musicals, dance, comedy, magic, theatre for young audiences and more.”
Every year, emerging and established artists come together to perform dozens of new shows, inviting Victorians to enjoy art and performances that live in the experimental outskirts of the theatre world.
- When: August 21st – September 1st
- Where: Various locations (see schedule)
Celebrate summer’s end on a high note by grooving to live blues, R&B, and more at the 26th Edition of Vancouver Island Blues Bash at the Outdoor Stage at Ship Point (in Victoria’s Inner Harbour, 900 block of Wharf St) and at Hermann’s Upstairs (751 View St, above Hermann’s Jazz Club) this Labour Day Weekend!
- When: Saturday, Sunday and Monday (see schedule)
- Where: Victoria’s Inner Harbour, 900 block of Wharf St and Hermann’s Upstairs, 751 View St, above Hermann’s Jazz Club
This free weekly-weekend market features high-quality artist-made goods, delicious food trucks, and some of Victoria’s finest local musicians.
- Friday: 6:00 – 10:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Sunday (Long weekends only): 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Monday (Long weekends only): 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Inner Harbour, 100-1019 Wharf Street
In a triumphant return to B.C., bestselling Canadian pop artist Carly Rae Jepsen is scheduled to perform in Victoria on Sunday.
Tickets to her show start at $44, and there’s still time to grab some!
- When: Sunday, September 1st, 7 p.m.
- Where: Royal Theatre & McPherson Playhouse, 3 Centennial Square