The long weekend is here and that means there’s more time for fun activities! Keep your eyes out for all the firework shows happening this weekend!
Don your boots and dust off your cowboy hat, because Sunfest Country Music Festival is back at Lake Cowichan this August long weekend, and it’s gearing up for its best year ever!
- When: Thursday, August 1st to Sunday, August 4th
- Where: 811 Youbou Road, Lake Cowichan
Let’s celebrate the Latin culture with live music, dancing, sports and performances. Viva Victoria Latin Fest brings together Latin artists and dance performers from different Latin American countries. The festival recreates the atmosphere of a vibrant city plaza in Latin America.
The arts showcased during this one day event includes live musical bands, traditional Latin dances, kids activities, Zumba classes, international and local foods.
- When: Saturday, 12 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: Centennial Square
The Sooke music and Arts festival is a free, family friendly, Music and arts festival: held in the heart of Sooke over the August long weekend each summer.
- Saturday 11 a.n. to 9 p.m.
- Sunday 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
- Where: John Phillips Memorial Park, 2197 Otter Point Road
This free weekly-weekend market features high-quality artist-made goods, delicious food trucks, and some of Victoria’s finest local musicians.
- Friday: 6:00 – 10:30 p.m.
- Saturday: 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Sunday (Long weekends only): 10:00 a.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Monday (Long weekends only): 10:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Inner Harbour, 100-1019 Wharf Street
Every summer since 1977, Butchart Gardens have put on a brilliant weekly fireworks display, and this year is no different.
Butchart Gardens summer hours are 8:45 am to 10:00 pm, but the gardens remain open for an hour after the admissions gate closes.
Access to the fireworks and subsequent events are included in general admission. So you can explore the Gardens to your heart’s content before settling in for the show.
- When: Saturday – fireworks start at 9:45 p.m. (see full schedule)
- Where: The Butchart Gardens, 800 Benvenuto Avenue
Rick Miller’s multimedia masterpiece BOOM struck a chord with Belfry audiences in the summer of 2015. Picking up where BOOM left off – at Woodstock in 1969 – BOOM X tackles the music, culture and politics of Generation X. Surrounded by stunning visuals, Rick plays more than 100 famous people – musicians, celebrities, politicians – in his own story of growing up and trying to navigate the tangled legacy of the Baby Boom.
- When: Saturday, Sunday (see times)
- Where: Belfry Theatre, 1291 Gladstone Avenue
Gordy Dodd’s Walk-for-Peace will be followed by a delicious Free Lunch for all to enjoy at the Beacon Hill Park Bandshell Stage. All proceeds support Victoria Hospice.
- When: 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Where: Cameron Bandshell @ Beacon Hill Park
Tens of thousands of people will take to Victoria’s Inner Harbour for the 30th annual Victoria Symphony Splash. From a floating stage in the Inner Harbour, the VS orchestra and special guests will perform, ending with a grand finale performance of Tchaikovsky’s 1812 Overture – with fireworks of course!
- When: Sunday 1 p.m. to 9 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Inner Harbour
Some of the best comedians in Victoria will take the stage to melt your face off with laughter. You will leave as happy as a piglet on national vegan day.
- When: Sunday, doors open at 6:30 p.m., show starts at 7:00 p.m.
- Where: 531 Yates Street
Each Sunday in July and August from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, a new musical group takes the band shell stage in Beacon Park for a free community show.
- Where: Beacon Park, 9801 Seaport Place in Sidney
- When: Sunday, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Enjoy an evening for the entire family and celebrate Jamaica’s 57th Independence Day. The event is by donation with lot’s of entertainment and Jamaican food to purchase.
- When: Monday, 1 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Where: Oaklands Community Centre & Association, 2827 Belmont Avenue
No plans for Monday night? Its a perfect time to capture the sights of summer in this peaceful pine lake painting at the Fernwood Inn! Join Alex as he guides you step by step through the painting – no experience necessary! Use code ILOVEPAINT at checkout for a discount and take home a summer keepsake!
- When: Monday, 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.
- Where: The Fernwood Inn, 1302 Gladstone Avenue