We did it! The first week of October is officially over, and we’re that much closer to Thanksgiving and Halloween.
To celebrate, here are 19 things to do in and around Victoria this weekend:
Local beer, sausages, pretzels, AND a day full of family-fun? Yes, please! Uptown is hosting their very first Oktoberfest, an exciting and FREE event on the upper boulevard in front of Whole foods. There will also be kid-friendly crafts, face painting, a contest for best costume and more!
- When: Saturday, October 5th – 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: Uptown Shopping Centre – in front of Whole Foods, 3440 Saanich Road
The Boston Bruins Alumni, led by NHL legend Ray Bourque, will be playing at the Q Centre in Colwood for this exciting family-friendly event, and all to support a fantastic cause! 100% of the funds raised go towards the purchase of a second stage recovery house for the Umbrella Society, that they currently operate on a rental basis.
- Where: The Q Centre, Colwood
- When: Saturday, October 5th at 7 p.m.
The national drink of Japan takes centre stage in a pairing festival tailor-made just for the delicacy that has been around since 500 B.C.
- When: Saturday, 3 p.m. – 12 a.m.
- Where: Ene Raw Food and Sake Bar, 737 Pandora Avenue
- Veneto Bar Ristorante, 1450 Douglas Street
- Nubo Japanese Tapas, 739 Pandora Avenue
Take in this intimate live music performance with Kelowna’s Andrew Judah and his mix of experimental rock and psychedelic sound. The event also features a four-piece psychedelic pop project, Speak Easy.
- When: Saturday, 7 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Where: Vinyl Envy, 1717 Quadra Street
This international cast brings a Circus act alive with performers from Mexico, Romania, Russia, Argentina, Belarus, Chile, and the United States!
- When: Saturday, 3:30 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Sunday, 3:30 p.m. – 7 p.m.
- Where: Bullen Park Esquimalt, 1150 Lyall Street
United Kingdom’s bass and party rock artist makes his way back to Victoria for another night of hip hop, future funk, disco, reggae, breaks, and much more!
- When: Saturday, 8:00 p.m.
- Where: The Rubber Boot Club, 1605 Store Street
The bass bumping Fall Tour of Stacked World’s artist Spag Heddy makes its way to Victoria for a late night performance that goes into the early hours of the morning!
- When: Saturday, 10 p.m. – 2 a.m.
- Where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
The Mustard Seed Street Church is hosting an event to help those in need throughout the Greater Victoria area. Show up and donate toilet paper and sanitary products to help those who are forced to choose between basic necessities or food.
- When: Saturday, 10 a.m. – 10 p.m.
- Where: Various locations throughout Saanich & Esquimalt
A family-friendly cycling and walking event to raise funds that support charities which provide refugees and others who are the victims of displacement with necessities and services. Ride, walk, or just show up and help those less fortunate.
- When: Saturday, 8:00 a.m.
- Where: 898 Royal Oak Avenue
Join this coalition of Child Care advocates and Early Childhood Educators whose goal is to make childcare funding a federal issue.
This family-friendly event intends to raise awareness of conflicts that may affect some parents, and plan to organize a march from the South Park Family School to the Legislature Lawn.
- When: Saturday, 10 a.m. – 11 a.m.
- Where: Begins at South Park Family School, 508 Douglas Street
Logan’s Pub presents a night of beer, Acid Rock, Surfer Rock, and of course Hard Rock!
- When: Saturday, 8 p.m. – 12:30 a.m.
- Where: Logan’s Pub, 1821 Cook Street
A free night of films dedicated to making better cities, towns, and neighborhoods. Topics include urban planning, placemaking, active transportation, and more.
- When: Sunday, 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
- Where: The Vic Theatre, 808 Douglas Street
Oktoberfest returns to the iconic Strathcona Hotel pub for Victoria’s annual celebration of beer, live music, and the chance to win a custom stein as well as FC Bayern Munich jersey.
- When: Saturday, October 5th, 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: The Clubhouse at Strathcona Hotel, 919 Douglas Street
Runners of all levels of experience are invited to participate in the event to raise money for breast cancer research. Participants in ‘Run for the Cure’ can choose the 5k run or 1k walk in their bid to support the single largest volunteer-led event for breast cancer research.
- When: Sunday, October 6th, 9:00 a.m.
- Where: Starts at University of Victoria, 3800 Finnerty Road
A full line up of Victoria’s comediennes taking centre stage hosted by Erin Haley and Carilynn Nicholson. Featuring Lucia Riberio, Lenore LaMay, MJ Bourque, Tara Northwood, Page DeWolfe, Suzy Q and Eliza Danvers.
- When: Sunday, 6 p.m. – 10 p.m.
- Where: Victoria Event Centre, 1415 Broad Street
Cheech and Chong are stopping in Victoria as part of their O Cannabis tour, which will take place across the country this year and will partly celebrate Canada’s recent cannabis legalization.
The pair is best known for their lengthy run of comedy films in the 70s and 80s like Up in Smoke and Still Smokin.
- When: Sunday, Doors at 7 p.m. Show at 8 p.m.
- Where: Royal Theatre & McPherson Playhouse
A diverse night of Canadian rappers featuring multiple performances from upcoming talent and local acts.
- When: Sunday, 7 p.m. – 12 a.m.
- Where: Upstairs Cabaret, #15 Bastion Square
The audience will have an opportunity to speak to their family, friends, and guides in spirit through mediumship presented with a unique aboriginal perspective.
- When: Sunday, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- Where: Sandman Victoria Hotel, 2852 Douglas Street
Get a tattoo for as low as $80 for 1 or $150 for 2 from the artists presented flash sheets! For each tattoo, you will also have your name entered into a draw to win tickets for the upcoming Victoria Tattoo Expo on October 25th – 27th.
- When: Sunday, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- Where: Incendiary Tattoos, Suite E 890 Esquimalt Road