The 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month was one of the most symbolic moments in history, as armistice was signed to signal the end of the Great War.
This year marks 101 years since the end of the First World War.
On November 11th, Canadians across the country will mark Remembrance Day by attending ceremonies to pay their respects to active soldiers, veterans, and those who made the ultimate sacrifice fighting for their country.
Here are places in and around Victoria where you can take part in Remembrance Day ceremonies on Monday.
Victoria – Legislature Grounds Ceremony
The ceremony will take place near the Cenotaph in front of the Legislature. A march will commence on Wharf and travel down Government, Belleville and Menzies streets to the Legislature Grounds.
- When: November 11, 10:45 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Where: Cenotaph in front of the Legislature.
Esquimalt – Memorial Park Cenotaph
- When: November 11, 10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Where: Memorial Park Cenotaph – 1200/1230 Esquimalt Rd.
Saanich – Municipal Hall Cenotaph
The District of Saanich invites you to attend their annual Remembrance Day ceremony in front of the Municipal Hall Cenotaph.
- When: November 11, 10:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Where: Municipal Hall Cenotaph – 770 Vernon Ave.
Oak Bay Cenotaph – War Memorial
Join the Oak Bay Remembrance Day Ceremony at the Cenotaph in Uplands Park. Everyone is welcome to attend. The ceremony will commence at 10:55 a.m.
- When: November 11, 10:55 a.m.
- Where: Oak Bay Cenotaph – 2800 Beach Drive.
Colwood – Royal Roads University
Canadian Armed Forces members and veterans will be honoured in a Remembrance Day ceremony hosted by Royal Roads University in partnership with the Vancouver Island Ex-Cadet Club in Royal Roads’ Italian Garden, followed by refreshments in Hatley Castle.
The museum will be open from noon to 2 p.m. Both are free.
- When: November 11, 10:40 a.m.
- Where: Royal Roads’ Italian Garden
Join the Langford Legion #91 to honour those who have served and protected our country. The parade marches from the Legion on Station Avenue to the cenotaph in Veterans Memorial Park.
The Legion hall at 761 Station Ave is open to the public from about noon to 6 p.m.
- When: November 11, March begins 10:35 a.m. with ceremonies starting around 11 a.m.
- Where: Veterans Memorial Park – Goldstream Avenue and Veterans Memorial Parkway
Metchosin Fire Hall
You’re invited to join the 14th Juan de Fuca Scouts and Guides as they march from the Metchosin fire hall to the cenotaph at St. Mary the Virgin Church
- When: November 11, 10:45 a.m.
- Where: St. Mary the Virgin Heritage Church – 4440 Happy Valley Road
Central Saanich – Pioneer Park
On this Remembrance Day, the 100th anniversary of the end of the first world war, hundreds of Central Saanich residents are expected to come together for the unveiling of the community’s ceremony and the unveiling of the new cenotaph in Pioneer Park.
- When: November 11, 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Pioneer Park in Brentwood Bay – 1209 Clarke Road
Sidney – Cenotaph at the Town Hall
A parade of Veterans begins at 10:30, starting at the Mary Winspear Centre, proceeding along Beacon Avenue, and ending at the Cenotaph in front of the Town Hall. The service includes 2 minutes of silence, wreath-laying and a flypast. With its strong military ties, Sidney’s Remembrance Day Ceremonies are a beautiful demonstration of patriotism and remembrance.
- When: November 11, Parade commences at 10:30 a.m.
- Where: Cenotaph at Town Hall on Sidney Avenue.
Sooke Cenotaph – Royal Canadian Legion
A Remembrance Day Ceremony will take place at the cenotaph the at Sooke Legion.
- When: November 11, 11:00 a.m.
- Where: Sooke Legion, 6726 Eustace Road.
To add to our list please send to email@example.com or comment below.