The weekend is always a welcome sight, and a long weekend is especially so! We’ve compiled a few events that we thought would make your 3-day weekend a little more interesting.
Here are 11 things to do in and around Victoria this long weekend, November 9th – 11th:
The most established fair on Vancouver Island is back this weekend for their 42nd consecutive year! This fair offers a true extravaganza of outstanding arts, crafts, and demonstrations at this popular 3-day event at Victoria’s Pearkes Arena, happening from November 8th to November 10th.
- Friday, November 8th: 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
- Saturday, November 9th: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Sunday, November 10th: 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Pearkes Recreation Centre – 3100 Tillicum Road
- Tickets: Public admission to the show is $6 per day or $6.50 for all 3 days. Children under the age of 12 accompanied by an adult get in for free.
Most animals cared for by the SPCA will be eligible for this major discount, including dogs, cats, kittens, puppies, rats and guinea pigs, but adoptions for farm animals will be determined on a case-by-case basis.
- When: Saturday, all-day
- Where: All 36 SPCA branches in BC
Are you looking for work, or just want to make some extra cash for the holidays? Canadian Tire is hiring part-time, full-time, and temporary positions in all departments!
All are welcome to apply and interviews will be conducted on the spot.
- When: Saturday between 10:00 a.m and 4:00 p.m.
- Where: Canadian Tire Broadmead, 801 Royal Oak Drive
The annual salmon run, where tens of thousands of fish make their way back to Goldstream to spawn, has begun!
- When: From now until mid-December
- Where: Goldstream Park
Enjoy shopping 2 floors (over 40 festive booths!) of glorious, festive, nostalgic vintage treasures! Vintage clothing, accessories, jewelry, housewares, books, collectibles, treats, holiday ornaments, Christmas decorations and oh so much more! Perfect for finding unique, memorable holiday gifts and decorations for you and your loved ones this year.
- When: Saturday, 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
- Where: Da Vinci Event Centre, 195 Bay Street
One of BC’s favourite homegrown bands is back in town this weekend. The Victoria-based band has been touring after the release of their sixth studio album, Buffalo, which came out in October.
- When: Saturday, 8 p.m.
- Where: Royal Theatre & McPherson Playhouse, 805 Broughton Street
Winterbrau is back and bigger than ever with two days in its EIGHTH year at the historic Canoe Brewpub.
This year they’ve added an additional day to the festivities and have over 20 of their neighbouring breweries all pouring their best winter brews. Top that off with complimentary hors d’oeuvres from Executive Chef Kyle and entertainment from Bucan Bučan.
- When: Saturday & Sunday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Where: Canoe Brew Pub, 450 Swift Street
The Grizzlies host the Nanaimo Clippers Jr. A hockey club at the Q Centre. Watch upcoming stars Henri Schreifels, Bryce Anderson, Isack Bandu, and Jake Veilleux. It’s veterans night in conjunction with Remembrance Day. There will be a special puck drop.
- When: Saturday, Warm-up at 6:25 p.m. with puck drop 7:05 p.m.
- Where: The Q Centre, 1767 Island Highway
Our annual event is back! The Odd Fellow Poker Invitational Fundraiser brings 75-90 players each year for an opportunity to show off their skills while raising money for a local charity. Working with our event partners, this is a fun and full day of mixing with the local community and making new friends over great poker, delicious food and refreshing libations.
- When: Saturday, 12 p.m. – 8 p.m.
- Where: 1315 Douglas Street
The 11th minute of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month in 1918 marked the end of WWI, and now, 101 years later, Canada still remembers.
You can find a remembrance day ceremony in almost every municipality, and we’ve created a list of events taking place on Monday if you’re interested in attending one.
- When: Monday, November 11th, each ceremony has its own starting time but most begin between 10:30 a.m. and 11:00 a.m.
- Where: Many municipal buildings or parks.
A rare artifact crucial to determining hitherto unknown facts about the ancient Mayan civilization has just made its way to Victoria.
- When: May 17 – December 31, 2019
- Where: Royal BC Museum, 675 Belleville Street