It’s a musical evening in Victoria, with DJs at the Capital Ballroom and indie rock at Lucky Bar. If you’re in need of a few Christmas presents, though, we’ve also got a great selection of markets for you to check out.
Here are five things to do in and around Victoria today, Friday December 6th.
After an impressive victory against local rivals Vancouver Giants, the Royals continue their homestand with two games against their neighbours to the south — the Seattle Thunderbirds. The two teams have played each other twice this season, each winning one game.
The first game of the doubleheader is tonight, December 6th, and both teams will want to leave with the bragging rights!
- When: Doors at 6:00 p.m., puck drop at 7:05 p.m.
- Where: Save-On-Foods Memorial Centre, 1925 Blanshard Street
Christmas and dance music — the two go together better than you’d think. This weekend may be your best chance to experience the mixture, as local DJ group The Funk Hunters take over the Capital Ballroom with their annual “Funk The Halls” show, a two-night holiday extravaganza with guests Balkan Bump, Jennay Badger, and Xavier.
If you prefer raves to carols, this is for you.
- When: December 6th and 7th, 9:00 p.m. to 2:00 a.m.
- Where: Capital Ballroom, 858 Yates Street
Here’s your chance to experience a touch of Salt Spring’s annual Christmas crafters and artisans show for 2019. This is the island’s largest show of its kind, featuring 200 local crafters and artisans from B.C. and Alberta.
One $5 ticket gets you access for all three days of the market, giving you ample time to pick out the perfect local holiday gift.
- When: December 6th to 8th, 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday and 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday
- Where: Saanich Fairgrounds, 1528 Stelly’s Cross Road
This is the second year of the Nomad Holiday Market, a curated market in an historic setting. There are over 55 makers along with food trucks and live music.
Not only does the market make for great shopping, but proceeds from the $5 cover charge go to the Cool Aid Society and the market is accepting food donations, too. Why not give back while getting a little?
- When: December 6th to 8th, 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. on Friday, 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday, and 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on Sunday
- Where: E&N Round House, 253 Esquimalt Road
One of Canada’s best up-and-coming bands plays in Victoria tonight! nêhiyawak are from amiskwaciy (Edmonton) on Treaty 6 territory.
Comprised of Kris Harper, Matthew Cardinal, and Marek Tyler — three Indigenous musicians coalescing at the intersection between traditional and contemporary music — the band released their debut album in October 2019 to rave reviews from critics and fans alike.
- When: December 6th, 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Where: Lucky Bar, 517 Yates Street