Are you ready for another year of loud, exciting Christmas action?
The annual IEOA truck light convoy and food drive is back this Saturday, and it promises to be more extravagant than ever.
The convoy features dozens of commercial trucks from the Island Equipment Owners Association (IEOA), all decked out in thousands of sparkling Christmas lights.
The IEOA also raises thousands of dollars worth of donations in both cash and food. Over the past 20 years, the organization has collected over 160,000 lbs of food for those in need.
If you can’t make it out, Victoria Buzz will have a premiere video of the convoy on our Facebook page shortly after 8:00 p.m. The video will feature all the stunning trucks, so make sure to tune in – and share!
But if you’re heading down, make sure you’re prepared for the evening of action with these handy tips:
Grab Your Donations
Foods like canned beans, whole-wheat pasta, brown rice, or canned soups or stews are much-needed this time of year. If you’re planning to buy an item or two to donate on your way to the convoy, Fairway Markets has multiple locations throughout Greater Victoria.
Any donation is greatly appreciated and will go very far during the winter season.
Know Where to Donate
There are lots of donation spots this year while the procession is on-going, so chances are you won’t have to go too far to find one!
- Ogden Point / 211 Dallas Road at Dock Street / Mustard Seed tent
- Cook Street Village / 325 Cook Street / Cook Street Village Block Party runs from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m.
- All-Ways towing / 647B Dupplin Road
- Oak Bay Village Municipal Hall / 2167 Oak Bay Avenue / Public Works Truck and Mustard Seed Tent
- Oak Bay Avenue / Foul Bay Road to Monterey Avenue / Volunteers collection donations from spectators
- Helmcken Road at Watkiss Way / View Royal Fire Department fire truck across the crosswalk from the Helmcken Market
- Juan de Fuca Recreation Centre / 1767 Island Highway / Colwood Fire Department tent
- Sands Funeral Chapel / 317 Goldstream Avenue / Emery Electric van collecting food and money donations
- Veterans Memorial Park / Aldwynd Road / Langford Light Up Celebration runs from 6:30 p.m. onwards
- Tim Hortons Coffee / Collection boxes open inside
- 1820 Island Highway (Open 24 hours), #840-2945 Jacklin Road (Open 24 hours), 845 Goldstream Avenue (Open until 10:00 p.m.), 739 McCallum Road (Open 24 Hours)
- Serious Coffee / 101-2401G Millstream Road
- Western Speedway and All Fun Recreation / 2207 Millstream Road / Admission by cash or non-perishable food donation
Pick Your Spot
If you want to know where to camp out ahead of time in order to be nice and settled for the trucks, we’ve got some information for you.
Here’s a map of the truck convoy route, with a few highlighted points and the times at which the trucks will go roaring past. Use this to estimate where you’ll need to be and when!
Ogden Point: 5:45 p.m.
Oak Bay Avenue: 6:30 p.m.
Yates Street: 7:00 p.m.
Watkiss Way: 7:30 p.m.
Veteran’s Memorial Parkway: 8:00 p.m.
Western Speedway: 8:30 p.m.
Wrap Up Well
Rain is in the forecast for Saturday night across the entire south island, so make sure you wrap up well in warm, waterproof clothing.
There’s nothing worse than having to leave early due to not being weather-prepared and missing the convoy, so grab an umbrella and fleece and you’re set for the evening.
If you’re going to sit through the chilly evening, why not warm yourself up with some goodies as well? Whether it’s hot chocolate, coffee, or some responsibly enjoyed Bailey’s with either drink, bring some of your own snacks down with your donations to keep your cheer up all night!
See the Trucks After the Convoy
If you want to get a closer look at the trucks, head to the Western Speedway in Langford. The entire convoy will be on display, available to see with only a cash or non-perishable food item donation.
Hot chocolate and hot dogs are also offered for free, courtesy of Sysco, Thrifty Foods, and the Central Saanich Lions Club.
Show Us Your Photos
Victoria Buzz will be reviewing the event with as many photos and videos as possible, so if you’d like to have yours featured, tag us on Instagram or Twitter with #VictoriaBuzz.
You may just find it in our wrap-up article on Monday morning!
- When: Saturday, December 7th, 5:45 PM – 8:30 PM
- Where: See route map
- Admission: Free; donate your non-perishable food items at the locations listed on the IEOA website