The launch of Victoria’s most anticipated new Christmas event has been postponed due to technical difficulties.
The Downtown Victoria Business Association was expected to launch their massive “light village” attraction in Centennial Square next Friday, December 13th.
However as that date approaches, a spokesperson for the DVBA says the launch has been delayed.
“The installation assembly is complex and the technical team requires additional time to bring this massive light display to life,” said Deepa Pillay in an email statement.
“Our project manager is working closely with the lighting vendor and installation partners to ensure we have everything in order before we bring Lights of Wonder to Greater Victoria.”
A new launch date has not yet been announced for the $500,000 installation expected to span the entirety of the square.
The ‘Lights of Wonder’ attraction is expected to feature thousands of lights and local vendors, and may even contain a wine/beer garden for those old enough to partake.
According to the DVBA, this $500,000 investment can be paid for over five years which will save them money in the long run as they normally spend $130,000 per year on holiday festivities in the downtown core.
Last year, Victoria councillor Ben Isitt drew enormous backlash from the public after suggesting the city review their budget for Christmas decor, in favour of rolling back for the sake of inclusivity.
In particular, he noted that the giant sequoia in Centennial Square, which is decorated by the Downtown Victoria Business Association, should not be turned into a Christmas tree for the sake of inclusivity.
The DVBA says this light installation has nothing to do with the Isitt story that made national headlines, but is their latest idea to draw people to the downtown core during the holiday season.