Wednesday, June 12, 2024

Toxic blue-green algae found at Beaver Lake

Share

The CRD has issued a warning against swimming or allowing pets to swim in Beaver Lake after toxic blue-green algae was detected in the water.

Island Health has recently documented a visible blue-green algae bloom in Beaver Lake, known to produce cyanotoxins.

The algae usually produces a blue-green sheen, which appears as surface scum. However, not all blooms are easy to see and toxins can still be present in the water even if you cannot see them.

Ingesting water containing the algae may cause a range of symptoms, including headaches and abdominal pain in humans, and can lead to lethal liver damage in dogs.

mm
Brishti Basu
Former Senior Staff Writer and Content Manager at Victoria Buzz.

Read more

Latest Stories