Why not feel good with some good food today — whether it’s partaking in a free pancake breakfast for UVic students on campus or by helping out with Our Place’s Special Breakfasts?
Here are five things to do in and around Victoria today, Wednesday January 8th.
Tongues of Fire is a twice-monthly spoken word open mic. You’ll hear (up to) 5-minute sets from 12 local performers, plus a 25-minute set from our featured poet — this week, the poet, writer, and artist Rachelle Bramley. Sign-up opens at 7:30 pm (first come first served); show starts at 8 pm. Door admission is a $6-10 sliding scale (cash only), but nobody will be turned away for a lack of funds!
- When: January 8th, 7:30 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Where: Caffé Fantastico, 965 Kings Road
Ring in the New Year with a cheerful Cherry Blossom paint night at Ma Miller’s pub! Join Travis and the gang as he guides painters through the steps to this festive winter painting. No experience required, first timers welcome!
- When: January 8th, 7:00 p.m.
- Where: Ma Miller’s Pub, 2903 Sooke Lake Road
Welcome back, UVic students! The university’s student union is celebrating the new year with a FREE pancake breakfast, starting at 8:00 a.m. and with gluten-free and vegan options! Who doesn’t love free pancakes???
- When: January 8th, 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.
- Where: The Student Union Building at UVic, 3800 Finnerty Road
The funniest way to spend a Wednesday is Phillips Comedy Night at The Mint! Each week Morgan Cranny and Drew Farrance bring the most hilarious comedians in the city together for a wonderful evening of food, drink and fun!
- When: January 8th, 8:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m.
- Where: The Mint Restaurant, 1414 Douglas Street
Why not donate to this great cause and sponsor a breakfast for someone who needs it? This is a fantastic way for your organization to bring a team together and serve breakfast to Victoria’s most vulnerable citizens. $500 covers the cost of the food, and you can also donate additional funds to Our Place to support meal service year-round.
- When: Each Wednesday in 2020, 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m.
- Where: Our Place Society, 919 Pandora Avenue