The winners of an annual competition that seeks out B.C’s best employers have been announced, and 22 of them have a major presence right here on Vancouver Island.
This is the 15th year that the contest has been hosted by editors of ‘Canada’s Top 100 Employers’, and employers are evaluated based on the following criteria:
- Physical workplace
- Work and social atmosphere
- Health, financial and family benefits
- Vacation and time off
- Employee communications
- Performance management
- Training and skills development
- Community involvement
“British Columbia continues to have the lowest unemployment rate in Canada, which is pushing more organizations to improve their workplaces and create progressive HR policies,” said Richard Yerema, Managing Editor of the Canada’s Top 100 Employers project, in a press release.
“It’s difficult to retain and attract talented employees in BC right now if an employer doesn’t pay attention to these things.”
The editors of the list also draw attention to the contributions of educated and experienced newcomers who have boosted the province’s economy by adding their skills to the labour force.
Out of the top 100 employers in Canada, 22 of them are located right here on Vancouver Island. With Victoria being the capital of B.C., it’s unsurprising that a number of the employers are provincial government offices.
However there are a variety of private sector employers that also made the cut.
Here are the 22 companies/organizations on Vancouver Island that made British Columbia’s Top 100 Employers list:
- AbeBooks Inc.
- BC Assessment
- BC Pension Corporation
- BC Public Service
- British Columbia Automobile Association / BCAA
- British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. / BC Ferries
- British Columbia Investment Management Corporation / BCI
- British Columbia Liquor Distribution Branch
- The Capital Regional District / CRD
- ESIT Advanced Solutions Inc.
- The Great Little Box Company
- Hemmera, an Ausenco Company
- Insurance Corporation of British Columbia / ICBC
- Land Title and Survey Authority of British Columbia
- Mountain Equipment Co-op
- Peterson Investments (Canada) Inc.
- Somatic HVAC Solutions Ltd.
- TELUS Communications Inc.
- Vancouver Island University
- Victoria Airport Authority
- Wesgroup Equipment LP
Click here to find the full list of top 100 employers in British Columbia.