The weekend is finally upon us, and can you believe it’s one of the last ones of February?!
Here are 11 things to do this weekend to celebrate this wintry sunshine weather – let’s just hope it sticks around for the next two days.
The biggest and brightest night of the season is back!
Don your best pink attire and come cheer on your Victoria Royals as they battle it out against division rivals the Kelowna Rockets.
Where: Save-on-Foods Memorial Centre, 1925 Blanshard Street
When: Saturday February 22nd; Doors open at 6 p.m., puck drop at 7:05 p.m.
Cost: Get your tickets here
The overarching goal of the symposium is to create a forum for tourism operators, researchers, educators, First Nations, governmental and NGOs, and interested individuals to network and learn/share about research and conservation issues and initiatives on the BC coast, with an emphasis on the Central and North Coasts.
- Where: The Vic Theatre, 808 Douglas Street
- When: Saturday February 22nd, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Cost: $65
A 90-minute historical walking tour through Canada’s oldest Chinatown, including a visit to the Chinese temple and a stop for a traditional Chinese treat. Find out how the Chinese celebrate the Dong Zhi festival to mark the winter solstice.
- Where: Chinatown Walks tours start outside Starbucks Coffee, corner of Fisgard and Government St, 1689 Government Street
- When: Saturday February 22nd, 10:30 a.m.
- Cost: $15 – $20
Swapping fashion is a sustainable and eco-friendly way to bring about awareness of the fashion industry, refresh your wardrobe and connect with the community. All clothes at the end of the swap will be taken and delivered to Women in Need.
- Where: The Bay Centre, 1150 Douglas Street
- When: Saturday February 22ndt, Drop-off: 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 a.m.
- Clothing Swap: 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Cost: Free
Dive deep into your inner terrain and release self sabotaging patterns, limiting beliefs and fears that prevent us from living your true potential! Many will connect to clarity, guidance, and purpose that will allow us to align your actions with your highest purpose.
- Where: MokSana Yoga Centre, 613 Pandora Avenue
- When: Saturday February 22nd, 2 p.m. – 5 p.m.
- Cost: $45
You will be guided through the process of creating 3-D nautical chart art, using origami techniques, and framing your piece in a beautiful shadow box for you to easily hang at home. During the workshop, listen to tales of the early explorers on the Pacific Northwest Coast.
- Where: The Maritime Museum of BC, 634 Humboldt Street
- When: Saturday February 22nd, 2:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
- Cost: $34.99
Featuring the talents of Dylan Williams, Rusti Richt, Matt Basky, Ian Ferguson, Julya Van Der Sloot, Nash Park, Jessica Lottie DeAngelis, and Kevin Matviw.
Our Headliner: Andrew Mack
Your Host: Paul McKinnon
- Where: The Fernwood Inn, 1302 Gladstone Avenue
- When: Saturday February 22nd, Doors open at 8 p.m.
- Cost: Admission by donation
Mardi Gras is about music and excitement! It’s one big holiday in New Orleans! So why not at the NEW Carlton! We will continue the tradition by rocking the shores of ESQ & Vic West West and tossing out beads and trinkets!
- Where: Carlton Caberet, 900 Carlton Terrace
- When: Saturday February 22nd, 8 p.m. – 2 a.m.
Angela’s “Night We Couldn’t Say Good Night” project is sure to connect with audiences nurturing recollections of their own night when they were transformed with love and wonder, inspiring them to consider changing their lives by connecting with another person
- Where: Hermann’s Jazz Club, 753 View Street
- When: Sunday February 23rd, 7:30 p.m. – 10:30 p.m.
- Cost: Get your tickets here
Miniature gardens are a magical way to bring plants into people’s lives! We will start with small containers and tropical plants to create these indoor gardens to enjoy for years to come. Our gardens will allow for child play and rearranging to suit a theme. We will explore a few themes as part of our design using natural materials collected in our very own garden pathways during an introduction wander.
AGES: 5 + years – 12 years
- Where: The Gardens at HCP, 505 Quayle Road
- When: Sunday February 23rd, 10 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
- Cost: $15 / Child – $10 adult
Join them on the last Sunday of each month (except July, August & December) for our by donation community dinner and games night. Enjoy a delicious dinner, wonderful company and some quality play time. Everyone welcome!
- Where: Oaklands Community Association, 2827 Belmont Avenue
- When: Sunday February 23rd, 4:30 p.m. – 6:30 p.m.
- Cost: By Donation