(Dr. Bonnie Henry/Photo by Cormac O'Brien/Victoria Buzz)

BC Ministry of Health officials have confirmed two new cases of presumptive coronavirus, both of whom are visitors from China.

Both individuals, a man and a woman in their 30s, were visiting from Hubei province – ground zero for the coronavirus outbreak – and are related to the second case of coronavirus reported in the Vancouver Coastal Health region earlier this week.

According to Dr. Henry, one of the two individuals visiting from Hubei province had contracted a relatively mild case of novel coronavirus and therefore did not seek treatment.

Authorities believe this person is the source who infected the individual that was diagnosed with coronavirus earlier this week.

All the individuals who have either presumptive or confirmed cases of coronavirus in BC as well as several people in close contact with them are now in isolation.

The second, third, and fourth people to be diagnosed with the disease are related and therefore in isolation within the same household.

Health Minister Adrian Dix and provincial health officer Dr. Bonnie Henry made this announcement on Thursday afternoon, reiterating the need to report illnesses to local health care providers in order to receive instructions on how to monitor for novel coronavirus.

“Those who have been in Hubei or had close contact with somebody from Hubei province are asked to self isolate for the 14 day incubation period,” said Dr. Henry on Thursday.

She also confirmed that two of the 20 people that tested positive for coronavirus on a cruise ship that has been quarantined near Japan are Canadian. They are being treated for the disease at a hospital in Japan.

This brings the total number of coronavirus cases in British Columbia up to four, after the first two cases were detected in the Vancouver Coastal Health region.

With three confirmed cases in Ontario and now four in BC, there are a total of seven confirmed coronavirus cases in Canada.

See also: BC CDC shares information to clear up misconceptions about coronavirus transmission

BC’s first case was confirmed on January 27th. Speaking in a press conference at the time, Dr. Henry said the province expected more cases in the coming days.

“I would be absolutely surprised if we did not have more cases,” Dr. Henry had said on January 28th.

In Tuesday’s statement, she stressed that the risk faced by British Columbians is still “extremely low,” but that the province will keep the public informed about future diagnoses.

“You will hear from us if people have this disease and have been diagnosed with it here. We are doing everything we can to protect people in British Columbia.”

As of the time of publication, there are over 28,000 cases of novel coronavirus around the world, and 566 deaths.

On Wednesday, over 3,000 people, including 250 Canadians, were quarantined on a cruise ship after 10 passengers tested positive for coronavirus.

As of Tuseday, the number of people infected with the virus rose to 20, according to a Washington Post report. Two of them are Canadian.

Due to the illness, the passengers — 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members — are in a state of quarantine for at least two weeks. Approximately 250 of the guests are Canadian; another 400 are American; and around half the passengers are Japanese, Princess Cruises says.

With files from Cormac O’Brien.