(Russell Farm Market in Chemainus/Screencap from video by James Heatley Hanna)

Has your home, farm, or business been affected by flooding over the weekend?

Emergency Management BC is now accepting applications for Disaster Financial Assistance (DFA) from British Columbians affected by the floods that started after heavy rainfall on January 31st.

Applicants who live or own property in the following areas may be eligible for disaster aid:

  • Capital Regional District
  • Cowichan Valley Regional District
  • Regional District of Nanaimo
  • Greater Vancouver Regional District
  • Fraser Valley Regional District
  • Squamish Lillooet Regional District
  • Sunshine Coast Regional District

“All First Nations communities, electoral areas and municipalities within the geographic boundaries of these regional districts are eligible to apply for assistance,” reads a statement from Emergency Management BC.

“DFA is available to homeowners, residential tenants, small business owners, farmers, charitable organizations and local government bodies who were unable to obtain insurance to cover these disaster-related losses.”

Financial assistance will be provided for each accepted claim at 80% of the amount of total eligible damage that exceeds $1,000, up to a maximum claim of $300,000.

The loss of seasonal properties like hot tubs, patios, pools, garden tools, landscaping, luxury items like jewelry, and recreational items like bicycles are not eligible for compensation.

Those who apply under the category of small business owner or farm owner must demonstrate that their businesses and farms are their primary source of income.

More information about the application process and forms can be found at the official Disaster Financial Assistance website.