It’s no secret that businesses everywhere are being affected by the global coronavirus pandemic – and this is especially true for local businesses in our very own backyard.
With restaurants, bars, and events closed to the public everywhere, there are still ways you can help to support Victoria small businesses and stimulate our city’s economy – in a time when they need it most.
We’ve worked with the Downtown Victoria Business Association (DVBA) to offer up some great suggestions on how you can still help out your favourite downtown businesses – while still practicing social-distancing!
Here’s a list of ways you can help out your favourite shops:
- Buy a gift card – Even if you’re not going to use it right away! Tuck it away for a rainy day, or plan that perfect date night for when this all blows over – most places you can purchase them online.
- Order take out or delivery – Doordash and Uber Eats are doing free delivery right now in light of the situation, and places like Ferris’ even have an option to add a meal for someone in need when you purchase your own! You can take a look at our list of local restaurants offering special services here
- Shop local online – You can buy more than clothes! Capital Iron and the Zero Waste Emporium offer online shopping for example, and many places in Victoria are reducing or removing shipping fees.
- Take your workout home – Miss getting your sweat on at the gym? Some fitness studios are offering live classes or at-home workouts such as Annex Fitness, Vibestreet and more!
- Like, follow, share! – The easiest and cheapest way to spread the word about your favourite local business is to support them on social media! Give them a follow, a like or even share any special promotions they have going on right now.
- Send a note to say ‘I love you’, or ‘I miss you’ – It’s times like these when you realize there are names and faces behind your favourite shops! Sending a note just to say you appreciate them and hope they’re doing well during these unprecedented times could go a long way – and would probably make their day!
- Write a positive review – Did you have a great experience at a local establishment before they shut their doors? Let the world know! You could inspire others to check them out too, once business is as usual once more.
Now, more than ever, we could all use a little bit of extra love! Check out the contest details below for how you could win yourself a $100 VISA gift card.
To enter for your chance to win a $100 VISA gift card, complete at least one or more of the following:
- LIKE one local Victoria business on Facebook and comment below to let us know you have. (1 entry)
- FOLLOW one local Victoria business on Instagram and comment below to let us know you have. (1 entry)
- COMMENT your favourite downtown Victoria business below! (1 entry)
Contest entries will be accepted from the time and date of publishing until 11:59 pm on April 7th, 2020. One winner will be chosen at random and contacted through the platform they used to enter. Make sure to register when commenting below.