Our island is home to some unique and beautiful local farms that offer quality products and provide the perfect opportunity for a family day out, a photo op, or a special occasion. From lavender and honey to craft spirits and fresh fruit, there’s a farm for everyone to enjoy.
Especially during the pandemic when travel is restricted and businesses have been hit hard, it’s particularly important to stay close to home and support local this summer.
So without further ado, here are 6 Vancouver Island farms to check out this season:
This Metchosin Lavender farm makes for a beautiful and calming weekend visit. From heritage apple trees to the lavender wall, you will be sure to feel at ease.
- Where: 4185 Metchosin Rd, Victoria, BC
- Hours: Fridays: 5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m., Sundays: 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Products: Lavender, Essential Oils, Honey, Apple Cider Vinegar
- Events: Workshops, Weddings, Picnics by Bramble, Yoga, Friday Night Pizza
This family owned flower farm, born out of a passion and love for nature and for our earth, is located on the Maber Flats in Brentwood Bay,
- Where: Flora and Fauna flowers can be found locally at Beauregard Cafe (1191 Verdier Ave, Brentwood Bay) and Peninsula Country Market (1528 Stellys Cross Rd, Saanichton)
- Hours: Varies by location.
Sol Farms pride themselves on being a pesticide free farm. This bright and adorable local spot is a must visit.
- Where: 3195 Livesay Rd, Saanichton
- Hours: Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Products: berries, herbs, flowers, homemade jams, honey.
Country Bee Honey Farm produces a variety of specialty honey products on their farm and focuses on farm to table products.
They encourage education on honey bees with information on the process, pollinator gardens, and beneficial plants on their website.
- Where: 6440 W Saanich Rd, Saanichton, BC
- Hours: Daily: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (except statutory holidays).
- Products: Honey, bee pollen, beeswax products, body products, candles, nutritional supplements, tea.
- Events: Long Table Dinners by Chef Paul Gill from Sutra Foods
The Fickle Fig Farm Market is a year-round farmers market, bakery and bistro with an Italian flair. Their farm features rabbits, piglets and a trio of miniature goats.
- Where: 1780 Mills Rd, North Saanich
- Hours: Daily: 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Products: Market, Bakery, Bistro
- Events: Farm Dinners, cooking classes, catering
Merridale makes farm-crafted cider, spirits, and fortified ciders made from 100% undiluted apple juice grown and produced at their Cobble Hill farm.
- Where: 1230 Merridale Rd, Cobble Hill
- Hours: Monday to Thursday: 11:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Friday to Sunday: 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Products: Cider, craft spirits, tasting bar, eatery, keg rentals
- Events: Weekend Pop-up BBQ
Do you have any favourites we missed? Comment below to let us know!