Any cheese-lover knows that Vancouver Island houses some of the best of the best of the good stuff.
One household name many recognize is Haltwhistle Cheese, and with good reason; the renowned cheese company produces beautiful natural cheeses, with an abundance of unique flavours.
In celebration of the wonderful array of dairy delights our Island has to offer, we’re partnering with BC Dairy Association on a massive giveaway of some of our favourites, and supporting Food Banks BC in the process – contest details are below!
From delicious delights such as their buttery Belmont to more exotic flavours like their Spanish-inspired La Mancha, there’s something for even the pickiest of cheese connoisseurs.
Cowichan Valley couple Cory Spencer and Kirsten Thorarinson began making cheese six years ago, and produce a variety of raw goat and cows milk cheeses.
They pride themselves on sourcing all of their goats milk from their own herd of 130 animals, and their cows milk comes from a local Ayrshire herd.
Haltwhistle’s cheeses are inspired by old world varieties the couple came across while working with cheesemakers in France and the United Kingdom.
They favour a natural process and allow the inherent cultures in the raw milk to shine, producing beautiful natural rinds, and cheese with unique flavours.
The prize packs we’re giving away are full of 4 delectable flavours of Haltwhistle’s cheese, including:
- Nailsea is a mild Gouda with a pleasantly smooth texture. This buttery and velvety cheese has a fresh and light flavor, making it adaptable to many uses.
- Thombury is the cows’ milk counterpart of our signature Tomme de Vallée. This traditional French Alpine cheese is full of rich and earthy flavor.
- Abergavenny is a soft, mild blue cheese. It has a lovely creamy texture, tangy bite, and beautiful mushroomy rind.
- Fresh Curds
- A traditional cheddar curd perfect for poutine!
Since this April of this year, BC dairy farmers have made a concerted effort to support communities in need as a result of COVID-19.
To-date, contributions have included a $175,000 in donations directly to Food Banks BC, and dairy product donations totaling 40,000 liters of milk, 5200 kg of cheese, and 2700kg of butter.
BC Dairy Association is encouraging British Columbians to support their local community food businesses during the challenging times caused by COVID-19, as food-based businesses have been particularly hard-hit, and need the support of their communities more than ever.
In the coming weeks, we will highlight small dairy processors, cheese crafters, ice cream makers, and other local businesses that use BC dairy to make their products.
For a chance to WIN one of 30 cheese prize packs from Haltwhistle Cheese (a $50 value!), please head on over to our Instagram page to enter:
- LIKE the post on Instagram (1 entry)
- FOLLOW @BCMilk and @HaltwhistleCheese (1 entry)
- COMMENT Below telling us who you’d share this prize pack with (1 entry for every comment)
- SHARE this in your IG Stories and tag @Victoria_Buzz (1 entry)
Contest is open to Greater Vancouver and Vancouver Island residents from Victoria to Nanaimo. Entries will be accepted from the time and date of publishing until 11:59 pm on July 29th 2020. 30 winners will be chosen at random and contacted through the platform they used to enter.
- Where: 5060 McLay Road, Duncan
- Contact: (250) 701-7533