It’s nearly October!
Although Halloween will look quite a bit different and many of the annual October events are not happening this year, there are still plenty of things to do in Greater Victoria to get you in the spooky spirit.
From corn mazes to ghost tours, charity events to Frankenstein shows, there is something for everyone.
Here are 7 safe and spooky Halloween events and activities happening in Greater Victoria this year.
Ocean View Estates welcomes you to come find your way through the twists, turns and dead-ends of their Saanichton Corn Maze.
- When: The Corn Maze and Pumpkin patch will be open October 1st to October 31st.
- Where: 7979 Central Saanich Rd
- Price/other: Admission tickets can be purchased online for a specific time period to encourage social distancing and limit capacity.
- Infant (0 – 2): Free
- Child (3-12): $8
- General Admission: $15
The Ghostly Walk Halloween tours are said to be the best way to experience Halloween in Victoria. These 90 minute tours include locations such as Bastion Square, Parliament Building, Pendray Inn, St. Andrews Cathedral, James bay and Bent Mast, Trounce Alley and more!
- Where: The tours begin at the archway entrance to Market Square (560 Johnson Street)
- When: October 9th to October 31st. Tours begin at 6:30 p.m., 7:30 p.m. 8:30 p.m. and 9:30 p.m.
- Price: Check online for availability and to book tickets. Limits in place to reserve times and for social distancing.
- Adults (17+): $20
- Seniors (65+): $15
- Students (Must provide student I.D): $15
- Children (6-11): $10
Ross Bay Cemetery, a Victorian-era burial ground, is the final resting place of Emily Carr and Sir Douglas. It is believed that the proximity of the sea acts as a conduct for spirits and has become a popular spot for themed cemetery walks.
- When: Various Sunday tours, as listed below:
- Murder Most Foul: October 11th, beginning at 2:00 p.m.
- Psychic Tour: October 18th, beginning at 2:00 p.m.
NOTE: The Psychic Tour has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. It has been replaced with a tour about Spiritualism in 19th century Victoria.
- Annual Ghost Tour: October 25th, beginning at 2:00 p.m.
- Where: Ross Bay Cemetery, 1495 Fairfield Rd
- Price: $5 for non-members, $2 for members.
- OCS members get a discount on weekly tours. Part of each membership and all donations assist many worthwhile projects undertaken by the OCS at RBC and other Greater Victoria heritage cemeteries each year.
Hatley Castle is another well known and allegedly haunted monument in Victoria. The Castle was built in 1908 for a Lieutenant and his family and eventually turned into a naval military academy.
Over the years, many ghosts have been spotted within and around the castle. Although the guided tours are not running at this time, visitors are welcome to visit the gardens. Controlled access will be in place to ensure a 50 visitor capacity limit at this time.
- When: Garden access is open to the public between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m daily.
- Where: 2005 Sooke Rd
- Price: Free admission to gardens.
Craigdarroch Castle is a historic, Victorian-era Scottish Baronial mansion thought to be a haunted site in Greater Victoria. Visit this Halloween season to take a 75 minute guided tour of the castle and grounds.
- Where: 1050 Joan Crescent
- When: Open daily from 10:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. (with the exception of Thursdays). Tours begin daily at 10:20 a.m. with the last tour of the day beginning at 4:00 p.m.
- Price: Tours must be booked in advance online or by phone. Admission includes use of the private parking lot. Proceeds from admission fund the ongoing restoration of the Castle.
For many locals, Jason Stevens is a Christmas classic at Craigdarroch Castle. However, this year, the actor will be making a Halloween appearance for five shows, performing his interpretation of the classic story of Frankenstein.
Precautions are in place and masks are required when visiting Craigdarroch castle and during the performance.
- When: Doors open at 5:30 p.m., please arrive at least 15 minutes prior to showtime.
- October 1st: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- October 8th: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- October 15th: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- October 22nd: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- October 29th: 6:00 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Where: 1050 Joan Crescent. ‘Frankenstein’ takes place in the Castle’s dance hall, located on the fourth floor.
- Price: $32.79. Can be purchased online via Craigdarroch Castle’s Eventbrite page.
Each year, the annual Raise The Roof Shelter fundraiser works to help local women’s shelters and victims of domestic abuse. This year, due to COVID-19 protocols, the event looks much different.
- When: Sunday, October 18th 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
- Where: 2541 Estevan Avenue
- Price: By donation with proceeds benefiting local women’s shelters, register your attendance online.